31 December 2021

My top 11 of 2021


Crap, I spared every expense doing a header image and then accidentally deleted it. Oops. So here's one I nicked.

It doesn't seem that long ago that I posted my last top 10; at the time, we were still living in the basement, the house was still undergoing renovations and decorating, and I hadn't painted anything for a month. This year's been a bit different, with me churning out minis to the point of insanity. Yes, I'm looking at you, Monster May(hem)

I had a bit of a bugger choosing these, which is why there are 11 instead of the usual 10. To be honest I could have easily chosen 20, but you have to draw the line somewhere. 

As we stand on the cusp of 2022, I'd just like to say thanks to all my reader(s) and the people who've taken the time to comment on my posts and painting, offer help and encouragement, and just being generally kind and awesome. Happy New Year to all of you!


11: Weird and pissed off

OK, so the Dog-Thing resembles a slightly miffed sheep and looking at it five months on it's not as good as I remember. On the other hand, this little diorama stands out to me thanks to the Forgotten Heroes challenge taking me right out of my comfort zone and getting me to actually sculpt my own mini for it. 


10: Death Guard

These pustulent traitors spent over two years in a ziploc bag until I dug them out in February for the Paint The Crap You Already Own! challenge. They're the old metal Death Guard and they're great sculpts, so I don't know why I took so long to get them done.


9: Billboard

I've never been too good at scenery, as last year's Season of Scenery challenge proved when I couldn't even get one piece done in eight weeks. This year's challenge was another matter, and I even ended up scratch-building this piece out of foamboard, coffee stirrers and dowels. I'm absurdly proud of it.


8: Kyrie, Female Barbarian


Kyrie was a freebie that came with a Reaper order, and I chose her because she was the best of a fairly mediocre bunch of offerings. But she looks great once painted, and was a solid entry for Fembruary.


7: Porkchop the Porkgre

Porks was picked up via a Kickstarter, and he's one chunky all-metal mini. His skin tones came out so well despite me thinking I'd screwed up halfway through painting him, and overall he's just an inventive and frankly scary sculpt.


6: Maggotcrown Ogre Juggernaut


Another large model (2021 seems to be the year I painted a ton of larger figures), and one that I tried out new techniques on, in this case mixing black and brown to get an instant old metal look. I was especially pleased that my homemade rust wash worked so well to make this ogre's armour look ancient.


5: Aina, Valkyrie

Aina was rescued from storage after almost two years and painted for the Neglected but Not Forgotten challenge. She looks great, but thanks to all the little details I was happy to finally get her done. I'm even happy with the snow base.


4: Yog-Sothoth


Yoggers was part of the marathon of paint and screaming that was Monster May(hem), when I managed to paint 98% of the figures in Cthulhu: Death May Die in a month. He might look like a large, misshapen scrotum armed with teeth and tentacles, but he's my fave figure from the game.


3: Convenience Store


This store was my main project for Season of Scenery, and I constructed and painted it over two weeks. The MDF building itself was simple to build and paint, and it was the detailing that proved to be the most fun; the vending machine, the boards across the windows and the graffiti all add a lot of character to a post-apocalyptic shop and help tell its story.


2: Blood Angels Terminator Captain


I painted this Jes Goodwin classic in the middle of Season of Scenery just to get a break from making stuff out of foamboard and MDF. I'd wanted one of these for ages and immediately bought it when I saw it on Ebay. Not only am I chuffed to finally have a Terminator Captain in my collection, I'm also very pleased at my painting, especially as he's my first Blood Angel.


1: Undead Chariot

I decided this would be No1 about five minutes after finishing it. I can't think of another mini I've painted this year that beats the Undead Chariot; some might be more colourful, some might be bigger, but this one stands out a mile as it's such a classic sculpt.

Honorable Mentions: The tent; the barricades; the Warhammer cottage; Space Wolves Terminator Librarian; Skull Rock; Ruined chapel; everything else I painted for Monster May(hem); the Alien; and the many post-apoc survivors.

14 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you Matt, and an interesting selection, from a very productive year you've had. Have enjoyed seeing all your creations, and look forward to seeing many more in 2022

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year, Dave, and thanks! It really was a productive year with a shedload painted and made. I'm sorry to say you will have to endure many more this year LOL!

      Delete
  2. Nice selection and im sad that I got to reading your blog too late in the year to see the earlier entries. A good year tho Matt with lots of fun and different minis painted. The Valkyrie gets my vote for #1. She just looks like an operatic badarse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dai! Aina was in contention for a higher spot, but after much deliberation she was left at No5. 2021 saw me painting a wide variety of minis and I really enjoyed them all.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, Matt, and what a cracking range of models feature in this posting. Personally, I simply adore the Convenience Store, and always enjoy seeing it appear as the background to some of your other figures :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be happy to know I have another building to make and paint, and it'll be started as soon as I get off the sofa today LOL! Thanks, Simon, it was a bugger to pick just 11 but I think I got the right ones. Happy new year to you, too!

      Delete
  4. Late as always, but Happy New Year to you😁
    Some great pieces here Matt, but my favourites are the scenery, especially that Billboard, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Justin, and happy new year to you too! I'm still well proud of that billboard and I really should make another one.

      Delete
  5. Well I'm even more late to this party, I loved all the entries (and had forgotten a few, so nice to be reminded), That Billboard is awesome, as is the convenience store, how you can say you're not good at scenery is beyond me! (Your stone doorway, is one of my fave pieces on anyone's blog tbh!!).

    I too think Aina the Valkyrie should have been much higher up though.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger, and I'm beginning to agree with you and Dai that the valkyrie should be higher. Oh well, too late now LOL! I'll be making another billboard at some point in the near future.

      Delete
  6. Thansk for the last year's collection of an eclectic mix of eye candy and don;t underestimate your creativity when it comes to scenery.
    Stay well and sfe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Joe, I appreciate that! Stay safe in Blighty, sir!

      Delete
  7. This is an excellent round-up of you work this year. I have enjoyed the Lovecraftian and post-apocalyptic minis sprinkled throughout the year. You helped me get out of my terrain rut with your projects as well! I'm excited to see what projects you take on in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad I could help! There will be more Lovecraftian horrors and post-apoc stuff coming this year, especially as I have the second Cthulhu: Death May Die box to paint!

      Delete