20 May 2021

Monster May(hem): Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. 

Er... sorry, I seem to have had a bit of a moment there. Also: SO. MANY. TEETH.

Yoggers is an Outer God, making him somehow more powerful than Cthulhu and Hastur. He's usually depicted as a mass of glowing orbs, so I'm glad that CMON decided to go with a massive sagging sack of teeth and tentacles instead.

He is first mentioned in Lovecraft's novella The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, but has a much bigger role in the story "The Dunwich Horror". He's conjured up by a nutter called Wizard Whateley and very probably impregnates Whateley's albino daughter Lavinia, who gives birth to a walking horror called Wilbur. Needless to say, things get weird fast.

This figure didn't come with the game. It's an add-on I saw on Amazon just after I bought C:DMD, and at $22 for another huge monster I couldn't resist. I also can't resist pointing out that this whopping sculpt is seven dollars cheaper than a Primaris Chaplain.

Yoghurt was a bit daunting when I took him out of the box, but turned out to be fairly straightforward to paint. I airbrushed him all over with Pale Flesh, and then gave him a thorough wash with Red Tone. 

I used Alicia's hairdryer on the wash as I figured it would save a lot of time. Once it was dried, I drybrushed Yogo with Pale Flesh and then White Flesh. At this point he looked like a big pink diseased testicle, so I was a bit worried as to how he'd turn out.

Time for the details OH MY GOD THERE'S A SHEDLOAD. I kicked off with all the mouth bits, using Flat Red washed with Green Tone and highlighted with Vermilion. From there I moved onto the tentacles with Royal Purple, Oxford Blue and Blue Violet. 

Oh bugger. After fixing this error I gave the whole model a coat of matte varnish in the hope that it would help prevent the paint being rubbed off as I handled it.

Time for the teeth, of which there are about a million. I used Ivory thinned with Liquitex flow improver and just hit them one at a time. I think the teeth took as long as the rest of the figure put together. I know the usual thing to do is use a brown wash on teeth and claws, but that wasn't happening. If you look at Yogger's feet you can see that they also have teeth but I'm close enough to losing my sanity as it is, so they're staying pinkish.

The varnish didn't prevent the purple on the tentacles from rubbing off, so after repainting the tips I gave him a second coat of varnish and moved on to the base. More sand, a coat of Light Turquoise and a drybrush with Off-White and Yog-Sothoth is ready to do whatever a Yog-Sothoth does. I'm assuming it involves a lot of killing.

I have four monsters and 14 humans left to paint, and 11 days to get them done. 

Here's a rundown on the other participants in this year's Monster May(hem):

The Good Ground's Tom has painted a very unsettling creature called Siren Head, as well as an excellent Red Slaad.

Dave from Wargames Terrain Workshop has made and painted a joopa from Star Wars Rebels to go with his homemade krayt dragon from The Mandalorian.

Keith, the dark prince who invented this cavalcade of horror, painted a superb Ripper Beast.

Jeremy at Carrion Crow has made a start on Ithaqua the Wind-Walker despite being hampered by dried paint.

Roger from Rantings from Under the Wargames Table has got stuck in with a couple of sabre tooth tigers.

Mark of Markamorin.com has built and painted an absolutely superb Aztec sacrificial altar.

Azazel from Azazel’s Bitz Box has added to his Umber Hulk and Coral Golem with a wonderful Sand Kraken.

Mike, who's on Instagram @sasquatchminis

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful work on Yogo Matt, as you say it has a lot of detail, which you've done a great job of picking out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave! There were a TON of tiny details and they were a pain, but well worth it as old Yoggers looks great. It was also nice to do a model not in green or black :-)

      Delete
  2. OK, I was going to apologize for not dropping by sooner to comment on your remarkable work, Matt; but screw that. With EIGHT submissions for Monster May(hem) so far (not including your investigators), you're just showing off at this point. The fact they all look amazing just rubs it in!
    One thing is for sure, you are on a hobby streak the likes of which I have never seen. It takes me months to get a board game fully painted (too many distractions, hobby and otherwise), but you're marching right through Death May Die. Well done, man!
    And great job on Yog-Sothoth and everything else you've done so far, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, being unemployed helps LOL! Although I have a job interview this afternoon, so my year of freedom might be coming to an end...

      Thanks for the praise on the minis! On the whole they've been fun to paint and not that problematic, and getting to use the airbrush a lot helps speed things up and is good practice for me. Two more will be posted today, leaving me with just two more to paint. I'm shocked at my output this month too, and hopefully I'll have time to do one or two non-Lovecraft models.

      Delete
  3. And thanks for reposting the blogroll, too! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yoggers looks great and by great I mean disgusting! :) I appreciate the info on which Lovecraft stories these abominations come from too. I've read most of his work years ago and a lot of times the synopsis reminds me of one I read and had forgotten about. You've got me thinking about going back and reading some of them in fact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is disgusting, isn't he? He'd make for a good Great Unclean One with the addition of some slime and a nurgling or two :-) I also think the sculptor was inspired by The Thing, what with all the eyes and mouths.

      You can pick up the complete works of HPL on Amazon pretty cheaply, or you can read them online for free here: https://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/

      Delete
  5. Not sure how I missed this one, Matt, except you've become a painting machine for this challenge, LOL!!! Great work on all the different bits and bobs to a truly repulsive miniature. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I'm well happy with Yogo, despite worrying about his colour at one point the detailing really helps tie it all together.

      Delete