11 March 2022

Morty

Death is everywhere, but in this case he was on the floor beneath my desk and behind my footrest. I only found him thanks to dropping a brush last night, and I banged him out this morning for something to do that wasn't the dishes or laundry.

Reaper does a whole range of these chibi-style minis, and a few years back I bought a couple of werewolf ones to paint as the dogs. I don't know when I bought Morty, as he's called, but he was a doddle to paint.

The first thing I did was glue him to a flagstone base. I wanted something to hide the join, so I got six Citadel skulls, primed everything Abbadon Black, and gave his cloak a second, thinner coat.

I did some basic layering on Morty's cloak with Mechanicus Standard Grey, and also used it to paint the base. His scythe was the first bit to be painted, using Chocolate and Mahogany browns, some Flat Earth and a wash with Seraphim Sepia. The blade is Plate Metal with some Serpahim Sepia to give it a bit of an aged look.

Next up were dem bones. Back in late 2020, when I bought my Undead Chariot, I also picked up a couple of Reaper shades with which to paint it: Bone Shadow and Aged Bone. I kicked off with Bone Shadow, layering it on thinly over the black, and once I'd got it looking OK I started adding the Aged Bone in layers.

Next I layered on Bonewhite, and then added some Ivory for the final highlights. I thinned some Seraphim Sepia and used it as a glaze to tie the highlighting together and add a touch of shading. Morty's teeth were given a dab of Ivory to make them stand out.

All the skulls were painted the same way, and then the base was highlighted with Neutral and Ghost Greys. The skulls were glued in place, which is when I discovered one had vanished, and the whole ensemble was given a coat of matte varnish.

Morty took all of about 45 minutes to paint, and as there's not much I can do with him he's heading for the display case. He was fun to paint and it I do feel good about rescuing him from the dust and dog hair he's spent probably a year living in.

14 comments:

  1. Great work on your Chibi Death Matt, fancy losing him behind your desk ! LOL So Death is truly everywhere ! ROFL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dave, and yes, he was living it up under the desk for over a year LOL!

      Delete
  2. What a cracking model, Matt, and lovely paint-job. Good to know I'm not the only one who bends down to pick up a brush or model piece and discovers a forgotten figure on the floor!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find all sorts of bits on the floor under my desk, Simon :-) Morty is a cute firgure and I'm happy with how he turned out.

      Delete
  3. For a quickie, he's a fine looking chap. Not normally a fan of the Chibi stylings, but this one is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dai! Yeah, for a sub-hour paintjob he looks pretty good, it helps that he's mainly one colour :-)

      Delete
  4. Haha, I love this one! :D
    Truly, you never know where you can find death... Hmm, that's a little bit unsettling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Suber! At least I now know where Death is — on a shelf in my spare room LOL!

      Delete
  5. Very nice work on this chibi, Matt! I think you're becoming more confident with painting bone which is great to see. I didn't realize that Reaper made any chibi minis. I like the idea of painting one but painting one with actual eyes seems daunting to me. Fortunately, there's no issues with that here so maybe I'll pick this one up in the future for a fun change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jeff, and you're right, painting bone isn't the bugbear it used to be for me. These chibi minis are fun to paint so I might pick up some more in the future.

      Delete
  6. Lovely work mate, I've seen him on Reapers site a few times now and along with his "chibi" brethren I have been tempted, I quite like the Chibi style of figures. Much better than washing up!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger! The chibi minis are cute and Reaper does a decent range of them. I need to get more.

      Delete
  7. He's a cheeky little chap isn't he!
    Nicely painted Matt🙂
    A good find, who knows what he could have been up to down there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure he was killing dust bunnies LOL! Thanks, Justin!

      Delete