24 July 2021

Season of Scenery: Monster egg 2

A bit of a short update just to prove I'm alive and still working on this thing.

The first thing I had to do was crack out the chinchilla dust to give the smooth plastic some texture. I should have done this before priming it, but I thought the spray paint would go lumpy again. It didn't, so here we are.

After that had dried, I decided to paint the egg Olive Grey. I want a kind of green-grey look (Jeremy from Black Magic Craft does his in white) so it wouldn't look like any regular egg. After three thin coats of Olive Grey, I hit it with coats of homemade black and green wash, daubed on rather than brushed.

After that the shell was drybrushed by adding larger amounts of Ghost Grey to the Olive Grey.

I wanted the veins to stand out and look suitably alien, so I painted them Sunset Red. It's a hot pink by Vallejo that I think I've used literally once before on one of my Slaanesh thugs. Once dry, the veins were given a slight overbrush of Pink, before I took this photo.

The base is just black, so I overbrushed several greys followed by a touch of Off-White. Then the whole base got a coat of Purple Tone to add some colour. As you can tell from the order of the photos I did this before I did the veins.

For the inside, I wanted a really strong contrasting colour, so I used more Red Sunset applied in three coats. Of course, I forgot to take a photo of it, but that's me. I'm really on a roll today.

And now we get to the gooey insides. I've had a pot of Secret Weapon Realistic Water for a couple of years, so it was time to wipe off the dust and give it a shot. I've never used this stuff before; I was going to use gloss Mod Podge before remembering I owned this. Wish me luck!

I mixed the water with Pink, poured it into the inside of the egg, and let it flow out over the base. Two things struck me immediately: I need a lot more, and I need to swoosh it around to coat the whole inside. Oh, and it takes 24 hours to dry so right now it's on a shelf covered with an inverted plastic box to keep the dust and dog hairs off it. I sort of wish I'd gone with the Mod Podge as it dries a lot faster (and it's cheaper, and I have a ton of it) but we'll see.

9 comments:

  1. Great progress Matt, if you have a red glaze you could put a coat of that over the veins and a couple of mm either side on the egg, will help give the impression that the veins feed the rest of the egg with blood or nutrients.
    Look forward to seeing how the water effects turn out, once it's fully dry you could always use your mod podge across the roof and sides of the egg. Can you achieve drips with it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea on the glaze, thanks for suggesting it! The water effects stuff is probably too thin to make drips, but I'm experimenting mixing pink paint and PVA to see if that'll work. I think the next lot of egg filling will be Mod Podge as the Secret Weapon stuff is too expensive for the amount I think I'll need.

      Delete
    2. If you've got two part epoxy glue, you can make drips, and even strands with that, you can also run it down nylon thread. The best thing to run it down is invisible thread that they use in dressmaking.

      Delete
  2. This is some truly creepy terrain and I'm glad to see it coming together! Is there a particular game you plan on using this egg with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically I don't actually play games :-) But I want to, it's just a case of actually doing it. I want to get back into 40k or Kill Team as I have a bunch of Marines and lots of unpainted ones, and I have the rulebook for No More Room In Hell and a ton of zombie/survivor models.

      Glad you like the egg, it's going OK but it really is one of those make-it-up-as-you-go models.

      Delete
  3. Great progress on a very alienesque looking scenic piece' choice of colours is very apt.
    Waiting for something to dry is a necessary pain in the proverbial, but it's great when done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't realise the resin took 24 hours to dry! If I'd known that I would have gone for the Mod Podge instead. But it's getting there, and I'll try to do more work on it today.

      Delete
  4. Nice work mate, yep I remember when I did my "Post apoc pond" last year that it was a pain that I had to leave 24hrs between layers of the Vallejo water effect stuff I used and I think there were five or six layers in that!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger! The wait is a pain, it must be said. I'll be looking at an alternative for the next few fillings.

      Delete