10 February 2020

Zombie Suzi


As it was a rainy Sunday yesterday and the dogs decided that five minutes was enough for their morning walk, I had plenty of time not only to paint one of my new minis, but to bring both of you with me through the medium of crappy photography.

Suzi — or Zombie Suzi, to give her her full title — is by the awesome Hasslefree Miniatures. She's the zombie version of a katana-wielding schoolgirl that I probably need to get to add to my growing collection of zombie hunting/post-apoc minis. You can also get her armed with a MAC-10.


You haven't missed much. So far she's been cleaned up, primed, and her skin painted with Vallejo Dead Flesh. That's right: I decided to photograph each step and then forgot to take pics of the first two. God help me. Anyway, she's superglued to a temporary base, which is held in the Citadel Painting Handle. Yes, I thought the same thing when I first saw it but it really is worth the money.


Army Painter Green Tone is applied to her skin...


...followed by a wash of Army Painter Purple Tone. This is my basic zombie skin recipe.


I used Citadel's Blood For The Blood God to pick out her bites and scratches. At this point I also painted her socks and underwear in Vallejo Off-White and her trainer in the first of many coats of Vallejo Light Orange.


Here's a view from the back.


Her hair is blocked in with Vallejo Black. As usual I had a hell of a time picking a colour for her coat and went with Vallejo Light Green because it isn't red/blue/black/brown. I also gave her wounds a dab of Liquitex Matte Varnish because Blood for the Blood God is glossy and its shininess under the lights was annoying me.


Another back view. At this point I realised I couldn't stand the light green jacket, but went with it as I didn't fancy redoing it.


After the usual procrastination, I picked Army Painter Uniform Grey for her skirt. Once it dried it was time for some shading, using Army Painter Red Tone on her shoe and Green Tone on her jacket, and Vallejo Black Wash on her skirt and Grey Wash on her socks.


The inevitable back view.


Er... I must have forgotten to photograph a couple of steps as suddenly she's basically finished. I went with Uniform Grey for her top, washed with Black Wash and highlighted with Vallejo Sombre Grey. Her hair is highlighted with Vallejo Ultramarine Blue, her jacket with a mix of Light Green and Off-White and her shoe with Light Orange. I added a few extra dabs of Blood for the Blood God to her wounds to give them more emphasis.


Now it's shaded and highlighted, the green jacket has grown on me. Some Vallejo Pink washed with Army Painter Red Tone for her hair band and a coat of Liquitex Matte Varnish and she's done. Now she just needs to be based, but that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment