2 January 2023

My Top 12 of 2022

It's that time of the year again, so fire up Paul Hardcastle's The Wizard and read on!

Another year, another bunch of minis and scenery have passed across my desk (and the kitchen table, depending on how messy the spare room was at the time). Despite my output dropping towards the end of the year thanks to me getting a job, I still managed a whopping 102 posts in 2022 which totals, to use the technical term, a shedload of figures. Talking of jobs, let's take a second to mull the irony that I now have enough disposable income to buy more figures and paint, but I have less time and am too knackered to actually do anything with them. Oh, work, how I missed you...

But without further ado, here's my Top 12 of 2022:


12: Space Station Zero

The game that finally answered Alicia's question "you're really good at painting these things, but what are you going to do with them?", Space Station Zero is a ton of fun despite my original seven-member pirate crew being reduced to two — one of which is now a plant — by aliens, black holes, mutagenic gas and environmental hazards. Whether Packman and Axon last much longer remains to be seen, i.e. as soon as I get the scenery done for the next mission.


11: Masque of the Killing Joke

I bought the Harlequins box set and put it to one side as I thought I could never paint the intricate diamonds and stripes that these murder clowns are famous for sporting. But then inspiration hit and I painted them as the Joker, Harley Quinn and four gang members. Bright, colourful, dynamic, and filled with an overwhelming desire to kill anything that moves, they were a pain to paint but look great.


10: Fungal Queen

At the time I painted her, the Fungal Queen was the biggest mini I'd slapped Vallejo all over. A great sculpt by Reaper, she spent a while in the Magical Box of Unloved Lead until I freed her and set about trying to make her as mushroom-y as possible. I was very happy at the result, and I also had a lot of fun making her base, for which I even sculpted my own mushrooms out of greenstuff and wire.


9: Lordsguard

Etsy has become the main benefactor of my weekly pay, and the Lordsguard figures — part of the Calden Keep range by Bestarium Miniatures — are a good example of why I spend so much time and money searching through the thousands of 3D prints on the site. As I said in my original post, this is what Chaos should look like. There are lots more Calden Keep figures to come, so stay tuned!


8: Amazon Warriors


I don't own an actual army thanks to my aversion to painting a ton of figures the same colours over and over, but I made an exception for these Amazon warriors by RBJ Games. I saw them on Kickstarter and pledged enough dough to get the War Party, and I was glad I did. The Command Group, the top photo, has four really great sculpts and gives a bit of a better opportunity for painting. The warriors below are just as cool-looking and the red and black scheme suits them well. I was really pleased with how I painted them, and as I said back in June, I'd happily surrender to this army.


7: MDF buildings





I thought I made all these last year, but no! 'Twas earlier this year that I set about painting a bunch of MDF buildings for my zombie apocalypse, and I had an absolute blast making and detailing them. They're easy to assemble and once glued together I went to town (no pun intended) with paint, tufts and signage to make enough buildings for my Zombietown.


6: Sci-fi minis








2022 may go down in my personal history as "the year I discovered sci-fi minis don't have to be 40k". I went on a real kick of painting space-age figures in the summer, and loved doing all of them. Robots, humans and aliens all fell victim to my brushes and I built up a decent collection in no time.


5: Squealers


I found these chaps on Kickstarter and immediately pledged money to get hold of them. They're awesome little sculpts by RBJ Games and I love how they're a great cross between slightly cartoonish and deadly serious. Keeping to a set palette, I painted them over a couple of weeks and they turned out looking great.


4: Chaos Renegades



What's not to love? Classic late-80s Citadel minis, these guys are among the best sculpts of the Oldhammer period. Twisted and mutated by the Warp, they're so much better than the identical ranks of World Eaters and Thousand Sons made today. With this being Oldhammer, colour schemes are basically whatever you fancy, so I went as 80s as I could with them.


3: Vandorendra, Snake Demon

I painted Van for the Fembruary challenge, and she certainly was a challenge to paint. Sculptor Julie Guthrie produced this fantastic figure who could easily fit into a Slaanesh army, and I used pink and blue as a homage to the Prince of Darkness' followers. I'm particularly happy with Van's skin tones, which came out really well.


2: Possessed Chaos Dreadnought

Monster May(hem) has always challenged me to up my game, and this year it pushed me to attempt something I don't do that often: take two models and smush them together to make something new. The fact that the first-edition Dreadnought and second-edition Keeper of Secrets are both large metal models upped the "how the hell do I do this?" factor but I persevered, using lots of greenstuff and superglue to get the look I wanted. Add a suitably Slaanesh paint scheme and a dead Blood Angel, and voila! A conversion that you could mug someone with.


1: Queen of Hell


The Queen of Hell was painted for Monster May(hem) back in — you guessed it — May. She's my No1 for 2022 because everything worked first time, from the primer and basecoats right through to the shading, highlighting and layering. Even her base came out looking way better than I hoped. She really is a stunning sculpt by Reaper, and her paintjob brings out all her daemonic majesty.

Feel free to chime in in the comments about my choices! And talking of comments, I really have to catch up commenting on other blogs as well as replying to comments on this one. Happy 2023, everyone!

22 comments:

  1. Interesting selection Matt, (very sneaky grouping models together to fit in more than 12 ! LOL) You have had a very productive year, hope 2023 is a good one for you mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave, and yes, it was a bit cheeky of me to slip more than 12 models in LOL! I couldn't decide on which sci-fi minis and MDF buildings were the best, so I just slapped them all in :-)

      Delete
  2. Cracking summary of a superb year, Matt. I too though thought you were a tad sneaky clumping lots of figures together, LOL!!! Really looking forward to seeing what you paint in 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Simon, and I'm feeling absolutely no shame at shoehorning in more than 12 minis LOL!

      Delete
  3. You did some superb work last year mate, and a few of my fave's got in there (well they would why you include sooo many figures! 😉)

    I knew Simon and I should have copy-writed this "top Ten" malarkey 🤣🤣🤣

    Cheers Mate, and happy new Year, Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger! Although I did nick the Top 10 idea from Keith a couple of years ago :-)

      Delete
  4. John@justneedsvarnishMonday, January 02, 2023

    I'm pretty sure I'd put the same minis in a different order every time I tried to rate them! :-) I can't really pick a favourite, they're all absolutely spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, John! I had the usual problem of picking the 12 in the first place, let alone putting them in an order I was happy with. But the final list is spot on for how I feel about 2022's output.

      Delete
  5. Your stuff is amazing, Matt. You should be proud of every one of these. My personal faves are the Fungal Queen and the Queen of Hell. But everything is really spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith, that really means a lot! Both the queen minis were pretty much automatic entries on the day I finished painting them, and I was so happy with the Queen of Hell that she's been No1 since I glued her to her base.

      Delete
  6. Some truly inspirational stuff there, Matt.
    If I had to pick my favourite, I think it's the Harlequins, but it's a tough choice. I love their colouring, how they jump off the page, but as I say, it's a tough choice.
    Looking forward to seeing what this year brings😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Justin! The Harlies did stand out to me too, and it is a tough choice to pick the 12, let alone then put those in order. I think they could move up a couple of spots in the list, but I also take into account how much fun they were to paint, and to be honest the murder clowns were a bit of a nightmare LOL!

      Delete
  7. All the muppets and the lordsguard stand out to my eye, but they are all such great minis and paintjobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe, the Lordsguard in particular are awesome-looking miniatures.

      Delete
  8. Really creative year, with an amazing outcome. I'm hooked to your work and the minis and designs I'm discovering on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suber, I really appreciate you saying that! Hopefully you'll be just as hooked in 2023!

      Delete
  9. So many good posts from 2022 Matt! Very well done.

    Personal fav has to be fungi-queen. That muted palette is perfect for that sculpt.

    Looking forward to seeing what you get up to in 2023

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dai, the Fungal Queen turned out really well and deserved a spot on the list, although maybe a bit higher. Lots more to come this year :-)

      Delete
  10. I really like this idea for a yearly round-up style post. There is a lot to be proud of and I'm most impressed by the variety in subject matter you had in 2022. Versatility is key in becoming a good painter in my opinion so trying out lots of different genres can only be a good thing! I look forward to seeing what you get up to in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff, although I nicked the idea for a round-up post from Keith a couple of years ago :-) I really enjoy painting a variety of models in different genres so I'm not stuck painting armour or flesh all the time. Just picking minis based on how cool they look does work sometimes LOL!

      Delete
  11. Happy 2023! But 2022 was even better, because I found your blog! It's been a pretty amazing ride. Great recap of your work! It's hard to go into too much detail because they all are interesting to me in their own ways and nicely done. The SciFi minis would be at the top of my faves. One, because like you said, they aren't 40K. Which makes them pretty unique. But also I just love me some old SciFi. Couple that with some well written games posts, and I've been hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Brian! I'm well happy you enjoy my blog so much, it makes the effort worthwhile :-)

      Delete