18 January 2023

Spawn of Change

Ooo. Nasty. I can't find anything about this monster online, so I don't know if it's an actual D&D character or an invented one. Either way, it's awesome.

The Spawn of Change, or Eddie as I've named him, has been hanging around the Magical Box of Unloved Lead since November. He was bought on a whim during one of my frequent Etsy shopping sprees because he's such an ugly bugger and works really well in either a fantasy or sci-fi setting.

He's another large mini, measuring about 4" to the top of his tentacles. I decided to eschew my usual greyish schemes for Eddie and go with a nice bloody red colour. In real life his red skin is darker, but you can't tell that from my crappy photos.

After being glued to a 60mm base and spray-primed black, Eddie was treated to a couple of thin coats of Khorne Red and a wash with Carroburg Crimson and another with very thinned Nuln Oil. I left his tentacles, claws and spikes alone until I'd got the skin done.

I cracked out the Mephiston Red and began to layer it over the raised bits, and there's a lot of them. It took two or three layers on various areas to get the redness I wanted, and once dry Eddie got a quick coat of matte varnish before getting more layers of Vermilion. I wanted him to be red but I didn't want to go too orangey with the highlights, so I stopped there.

Once the reds were all done, I touched up his tentacles with Black before layering their tips with thinned Khorne and Mephiston reds. Lastly, I painted his claws, teeth and spines Black and gave them a quick highlight with diluted Dark and Neutral greys.

Eddie's base is just Vallejo Black Lava paste painted Violet, shaded with Druchii Violet, and highlighted with Hexed Lichen, Purple, Blue Violet and a light touch of Pink. I glued on some alien tufts and he was done.

Eddie was pretty easy and straightforward to paint, and he's come out looking really good. I think the blood red skin works well on him and makes him stand out among all my other monsters. Stay tuned for some scenery, which will be coming soon!

18 comments:

  1. Excellent looking thing Matt, as you say could be used in multiple settings, the colour choices really add to the creatures strangeness to create a masterful piece. Your Etsy shopping spree's really bring up some unusual models ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! The monster is a lot darker in real life, not quite as blood-red as it is in the photos. Etsy is a goldmine for awesomely strange models :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice find and I like how that base looks with the color you chose! I can safely say it's not a D&D monster from my days, but could easily be one they created in a later edition. Either way it will be a cool SciFi/Fantasy beast for your games! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Brian! I don't know whether Eddie is based on an actual fictional monster or if he's the product of some 3D sculptor's twisted mind, but he's definitely horrible :-)

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed, Matt. That's a whopper for sure. Love the colour scheme and the base too. They really work well together. Super stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon! I went with my basic alien terrain look for the base as I think it works well with just about any mini. Eddie really is a chunky model and looks terrifying next to a basic 28mm figure.

      Delete
  4. Ooo he's an ugly bugger for sure. Love the colour choices and complimentary basing.

    Could see him easily stomping and chomping teams in your sci fi games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dai! He could totally eat the Muppets LOL! I don't think they'd have much of a chance against him.

      Delete
  5. John@justneedstentaclesWednesday, January 18, 2023

    That's brilliant, Matt! :-) Very nightmarish! You'll be pleased to know that you've been a bad influence and that I've now been following your example and buying stuff on Etsy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, John, and I'm happy I've influenced you to blow your money on Etsy LOL!

      Delete
  6. Eeeeek! I'm having nightmares! Absolutely awesome work, sir :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eddie came out great, Matt! I think red and demons seem to really go together and the base is perfect for an unusual being like Eddie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! Once I'd decided to go with a colour instead of just greys, red seemed the best choice to give Eddie a real alien/daemon look.

      Delete
  8. For some reason I immediately thought "StarTrek" when I saw this critter although it would just as easily fit into any dnd adventure too. Love your colour choices, it really 'pops'.
    Zabadak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! I too think that Eddie would fit into multiple scenarios, and his red skin will certainly make him stand out!

      Delete
  9. Smashing bit of work on a truly evil looking miniature mate!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Roger, evil is the right word for him!

      Delete