17 May 2021

Monster May(hem): Hunting Horrors


Another pair of Cthulhu: Death May Die minis, another Lovecraft invention that has bugger all backstory.

As I said in my first post about the game, horrors are a kind of hunting dog. They serve Nyarlathotep (sadly not included in the game), also known as The Crawling Chaos, a lesser god who walks the earth causing, well, chaos. And that's all I know.


As the horrors have an aversion to light and can be harmed or destroyed by even a small amount, I decided to keep them as dark as possible. After respraying them black, I used pretty much the same technique on them as I did with the byakhee, just using different colours and less paint.


I used a slight overbrush of Dark Prussian Blue to start and covered the bits I thought would be hit by direct light from above. Once dry I drybrushed Blue over the models, and with that done I added a little bit of Fluorescent Blue to the highest bits. 

I just lightly layered on some Blue to the folds in the wings, and they were done pretty quickly. The only problem I encountered was with my black respray, which didn't cover all the grey, so I had to repaint black over some bits. And when I say "some bits" I mean tiny little dots of grey that stood out a mile against the blue and black. Yay.

The bases are sand, painted with black craft paint and drybrushed with Bright Orange.

So, that's 16 of the monsters in the game done, and 10 humans. I started another monster while doing the horrors, and I'm hoping to get it finished very soon. Two others have been primed and are on the table. The only turd in the chocolate box is the Cultists of Hastur, which after a second coat of yellow look like they've been dunked in korma sauce. I'm considering giving them a nice relaxing bath in some Simple Green and airbrushing the yellow on.

So, till next time, CTHULHU FHTAGN!

Check out the other participants in this year's Monster May(hem):

Keith, the dark prince who invented this cavalcade of horror, painted a superb Ripper Beast.

Jeremy at Carrion Crow has made a start on Ithaqua the Wind-Walker despite being hampered by dried paint.

Dave from Wargames Terrain Workshop has finished his homemade krayt dragon from The Mandalorian and it's amazing.

Roger from Rantings from Under the Wargames Table has got stuck in with a couple of sabre tooth tigers.

Mark of Markamorin.com has built and painted an absolutely superb Aztec sacrificial altar.

Azazel from Azazel’s Bitz Box has added to his Umber Hulk and Coral Golem with a wonderful Sand Kraken.

The Good Ground's Tom did an excellent Red Slaad, which I cannot stop reading as "Red Salad".

Mike, who's on Instagram @sasquatchminis

6 comments:

  1. Great looking horrors Matt, can see why you went with dark colours, as they can not stand the light I might have gone the other way and gone really pale, as this is normal for nocturnal animals skin, but this is fantasy after all (or is it ! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dave! I did toy for a minute with the idea of making them light, but I think having them just pitch-black works better (and saves on a lot of painting LOL). I like the idea of them being these terrifying monsters that hunt at night and can barely be seen.

      Delete
  2. Wow!! you are posting these things faster than I can comment! Perhaps you better through in a fantasy cottage just to slow things down a bit (LOL).

    Top work as always mate, I like the idea you can't see these things in the dark till the rip your face off!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger! I have been slamming these things out, and I'm surprised at myself for keeping up with the pace I've set. And I don't think someone's face, or any other part, would last long against one of these things LOL

      Delete
  3. You're really banging these out. This is a very creepy sculpt and your paint job only accentuates that :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, sir! They were pretty easy to paint and look effective.

      Delete