4 April 2020

Zombies on the cheap


Five zombies for $6.99? Sign me up! These Reaper zed-words are a cheap addition to my collection of shambling undead. Reaper names its figures, so allow me to introduce, from left, Ernest, Ronnie, Gracie, George and Reggie.


They're  made from the older, rubbery PVC Reaper Bones plastic that bends easily and isn't brilliant at holding details. Ronnie and Gracie's faces are kind of blobby, but as these five in metal would cost $22, I'm not too bothered. And to be fair, the Bones material has got a lot better since it was released.

I can't work out what period they're supposed to be from so I just painted them as if they're modern day zombies, which are the best kind of zombies.

When it came to colour schemes I went with whatever sprang to mind. So, from left, Vallejo Emerald Green and Black; Olive Grey and Dark Blue; Flat Red and Vermillion; Off-White and White; and Amaranth Red and Light Orange. I was a bit puzzled as to what George and Reggie were supposed to be wearing, so I went with a nightshirt/hospital gown and prison overalls. Their skin is the usual zombie mix.

Being early Bones figures, they're on integral plastic bases best described as "lumps". I glued them to 25mm bases, used Liquitex Modelling Paste to cover up the lumps, added some sand and small bits of rock, and painted them Citadel Caliban Green. A quick wash with Army Painter Green and Purple Tone and a highlight with some lightened Caliban Green and they were done.

No comments:

Post a Comment