18 April 2022

Wiggles the Warlock and Lilly

After all those bloody Harlequins, something a bit easier.

Wiggles and Lilly are freebies that came with the RBJ Games Squealers kickstarter I backed in December 2020. They were delivered in March last year and have been in a box ever since. Happily, they're all primed and ready to be painted, and I kicked off with the warlock.

I'd already decided on going with mainly green/brown/tan shades for the Squealers as I'm kind of done with bright colours for the time being, so I began Wiggles with a basecoat of Heavy Skintone all over his clothes. Chocolate Brown was perfect for his belt, shoes and collar, and I've decided to do all the leather on the minis using this colour. I used Burnt Umber for Wiggles' coat, highlighted with Mahogany Brown and Flat Earth.

I debated doing his hat in blue, but went all Gandalf with Mechanicus Standard Grey and Ash Grey, shaded with Nuln Oil. Oh, so easy.

I tried to recreate the pinkish skin tones I used on Porkchop back in June. It was based with Brown Rose and washed with Reikland Fleshshade, and then highlighted with a mix of Pink and Brown Rose. I added a bit of Basic Flesh to lighten it a bit, then painted his nose Pink with some added White.

Wiggles' staff is English Uniform over Japanese Uniform, and the pumpkin was based with Heavy Orange before getting a coat of Bright Orange. The three jar things on his belt are Cavalry Brown highlighted with Red Leather, and his teeth are Ivory.

Lilly, his frog familiar, was an absolute joy to paint because she's just a fun little figure. After basecoating her with Heavy Black Green she was painted Park Green Flat, shaded with Biel-Tan and highlighted with Light Green and a touch of Goblin Green. The stone she's sitting on is Stone Grey, Seraphim Sepia and some Silver Grey. 

I made all 11 bases for these figures in advance, and so I kept it pretty simple. They're all modelling paste with some sand glued on, painted Caliban Green, washed with thinned Druchii Violet and drybrushed with a mix of Caliban Green and White. I added a small tuft and some purple flowers to Wiggles', and I'll do the same to the rest.

I'm hoping to get some of the Squealers done this week, so stay tuned!

18 comments:

  1. Haha, so cute and cool! I do love the skin tones, what a nice paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Suber, he is a cute little mini!

      Delete
  2. Whilst the entire idea of anthromorphic figures leaves me cold, I can still aprreciate a fun sculpt and this is no exception. Having a basically brown palette, you've managed to bring out everything distinctly, making this a very intersting painting exercise, even if you say it was 'easy', there's still a lot of work gone into the figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! He wasn't exactly easy but a lot easier than those Harlequins LOL! Glad you like him, and he is a fun little sculpt.

      Delete
  3. What a cracking model and superb paint-job, Matt. Lovely choice of colours and that frog is super-cute, imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon, Lilly was the really fun bit to paint. Happily she hadn't gone missing!

      Delete
  4. Great work Matt, the subtle brown tones work really well, and are expertly executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave, for some reason browns are the one colour I'm pretty good at layering.

      Delete
  5. A fun little figure and yes that frog is super cute. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work on a fun miniature! I like the skin tone you've achieved (or rather, brought back).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith, and I was so happy to be able to recreate the skin tones!

      Delete
  7. Mustn't let my wife see this, she loves cute figures! Great bit of work on this, though you said it was easy? he looks an absolute "pig" to paint for here!🤣😂😂

    Sorry Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger! Wiggles was a lot easier than the Harlies, and although he had a couple of fiddly bits he was pretty straightforward.

      Delete
  8. Wiggles is an excellent palette cleanser and looks like a really fun one to paint! I love how cartoony the mini is and I wouldn't mind taking a crack at something like this in the future. Your work is inspiring as always, mate! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jeff! Fun figures are always a nice change from the undead monsters I usually paint LOL!

      Delete
  9. This one really put a smile on my face, though the look on poor Lillie's face really made me feel sorry for her too. Great work all round Matt; a fabulous little piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilly does have a kind of "here we go again" look to her, doesn't she? Cheers, Jeff, glad you like it!

      Delete