11 July 2023

Season of Scenery: Scatter Terrain

It's taken me way longer than I hoped, but I've completed my first Season of Scenery project.

As much as I like making sci-fi and modern/post-apoc scenery, I really like making fantasy stuff and especially natural scenery such as trees. I've been wanting to make something like this terrain for a while and after buying some MDF bases from Etsy I finally got around to knocking some out.

Once again I forgot to take WIP photos of every stage, so here's eight of the 20 bases after I sealed them with matte Mod Podge, painted them Marsh Green craft paint and glued some stones to a few. 

The next stage was to add some lumps and bumps, and this was the moment when I realised it would have been a hell of a lot easier to do this BEFORE painting them. I made the bumps from Crayola modelling clay and painted the bases with Mod Podge to provide some adhesion. Once I'd got the clay the way I wanted it, I painted over it with more Mod Podge to seal it and then cracked out the Marsh Green again and painted over it.

Once all that was dry I applied another coat of Mod Podge to each base and plastered them with my flock mix. I took them outside, put them on the lid of the hot tub, sprayed them with heavily watered-down PVA to seal the flock and left them to dry in the 90-degree heat. And this is where disaster struck.

It's been a hot, humid summer here in the Green Mountain State, with the occasional rainstorm. And while at work that afternoon it absolutely hammered down to the point where looking out of the door was like looking into mist. About 30 minutes into the deluge I suddenly remembered about the bases being outside and phoned Alicia, who braved the downpour to rescue them. Unfortunately the rain had reactivated the thinned PVA, dissolved it and washed off some of the flock. The bases spent the night in the kitchen before being reflocked and resealed in the morning.

So now it's time for the trees. I own some Woodland Scenics tree armatures but they're somewhere in the spare room, which along with being a dump now has a bath in the middle of it thanks to our bathroom being remodeled. So I used some cheap plastic trees I got from Amazon several months ago. They're not perfect, and some completely suck, but they did the job. After picking out which ones I wanted to use, I painted the trunks to make them a bit more realistic and used a paintbrush handle to make holes in the bumps so I could superglue them in place.

I tried to mix the tree types a bit to add some variation, and I think I did OK. The bases looked a bit dull so I dug out my clump foliage and went to town with it, using cheap four-for-a-dollar tubes of superglue to stick it all in place and then seal it on. I added some dark green tufts and flowers and they were basically done; the final thing was to paint the base rims black.

I'm really happy with how these turned out. The foliage could do with a bit more variation in colour, and I didn't even think about using static grass until about 30 seconds ago, but on the whole they'll work as fantasy terrain or even random items in a modern park.

More to come!

Including a shedload of cavern terrain, more resin pours, rock faces and a couple of MDF buildings. Stay tuned!

16 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the scatter terrain Matt, really like the variance between them all and should cover a good area with them, could see these working in a lot of settings including zombie apocalypse, as it wouldn't take long for nature to start to take hold once the humans aren't maintaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! I tried to make them work in different scenarios, from a forest to a city park, so I guess I'm going to have to try them out in a few games :-)

      Delete
  2. Nope, Dave beat me to the punch! You have to get up extra early to beat Dave!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and natural looking Matt! Don't think they need the static grass even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dai, looking at them now I agree that the static grass wouldn't have made that much of a difference. I might try using it on the next batch.

      Delete
  4. Awww man, the gremlins ate my first post! I guess that happens if you Reply to your own comment? Anyways, I was asking what prizes I get for being first. But then Dave had popped in and posted before I hit the Publish button. Then I went on to say how nice your scenery looks. It's hard to believe those are cheap plastic Amazon trees! What tufts are you using? Looks like you had to use a lot of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wondered what your first post was about, Brian! They certainly are cheap plastic trees from Amazon and despite them varying in looks and size they worked really well for this project. The tufts are from Etsy and were pretty cheap considering they were sent from the UK.

      Delete
  5. John@justneedsvarnishTuesday, July 11, 2023

    These have come out really well, Matt! :-) Funnily enough I'm doing trees and stuff myself, but I don't expect them to look as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John, now I'm looking forward to seeing what you're working on!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful greens, Matt. They should all be suitable for so many different tabletops, including overrun cityscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Simon! They came out looking really good and should work in different scenarios.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like Alicia suffered for you to bring us this art, Matt! I think the trees look better than you described and I like how green everything looks. This is perfect for some fantasy terrain though Dave is right that it wouldn't go amiss in the post-apocalypse either. Either way, this is a job very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia suffers a lot for my art, Jeff, mainly in the form of having an unusable spare room and a kitchen table covered in pots of paint and minis LOL! I went for bright green colours just because that's what I had lying around :-)

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of terrain pieces and nodoubt someti in the future you'll wish you did more!
    Even though you say some of the trees were 'second choice', they've come out wellwith all the added extras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Joe, and you're right, I already wish I'd made more LOL! Given how cheap the trees were they look pretty good.

      Delete