17 July 2023

Season of Scenery: Cavern pools and mushroom trees

Here's some more scenery for this year's challenge!

The pool I posted a couple of weeks ago was my second attempt at a resin pour (the first will be posted soon, honest). Since then I've done two more, both using 3D printed scenery from, you guessed it, Etsy.

Both of these pieces are PLA prints, meaning they're a lot rougher in terms of texture than resin prints. Although I generally avoid PLA prints, it works really well for rocky cavern terrain.

This pretty basic piece was the third resin job I did. It's a decent model and is perfect for an underground pool, and I like that it has the path going up around the side, although I wouldn't recommend diving into the water. Sci-fi smuggler Jessica Blaze is there for scale despite looking a bit incongruous in such a setting.

Before painting the model I had to make a border/rim around one side between the smaller pool and the bottom of the ramp to contain the resin. I used a few layers of hot glue and sprinkled it with sand to add some texture.

The resin print was sprayed with black primer and then overbrushed/drybrushed with various grey craft paints including Pewter Grey, Grey, Country Grey and Granite Grey. I used White to highlight the bottom of the pools to be sure they'd show up through the tinted resin.

The path looked very flat, so I gave it a once-over with thinned homemade black wash and it really helped bring out the rocky texture. I ended up giving the entire model a wash to tie it all together, and then painted a few mushrooms and stuck them on.

Resin time! The two-part resin was mixed in a small plastic cup and I added a few drops of Drakenhof Nightshade to add a blue tint. Once I made sure the resin looked good, I slowly poured it into the smaller pool first and then the larger pool. I placed a tall plastic container over the whole thing to keep dust and dog hairs off and left it for three days to allow the resin to set.

While that model dried I kicked off with this bit more ambitious one. Once again Jessica gives a good idea of the size of this piece, which has multiple pools on different levels. 

It was painted the same way as the other one, but I did forget to highlight the bottom of the pools enough and so the texture doesn't show through the resin as well. 

The integral mushrooms were quickly painted with Electric Blue, Flat Red and Hexed Lichen, and the weird vase-like plants in one of the pools were given a coat of Brown Orange and highlighted with Wild Rider Red and Fire Dragon Bright.

I mixed a lot more resin for this one, too much as it turned out but I didn't want to end up running out and having to match the tint of a new batch. This time I added Coelia Greenshade for a more blue-green look and poured it into the pools, starting with the bottom one as I knew I'd have to tilt the model to get the resin to flow into all the nooks and crannies. 

With that one filled it was just a case of working my way up to the top pool. The smaller ones were filled by scooping up resin with the end of a coffee stirrer stick and letting it drip into the hollow.

Apart from having to wait three days for the resin to dry, both these models were very easy to paint and ended up looking great. 

Mushroom trees

I bought these just after getting my first set of night goblins. I thought they looked pretty cool and would work very well as fantasy terrain. Again these are PLA prints, meaning there's a lot of print lines on them. But as with the pools, the lines just add texture and allow for some quick and easy drybrushing.

I kicked off with a basecoat of grey spray primer before painting the tops of the trees with Violet. Some fairly heavy drybrushing with Hexed Lichen and then Purple, and then a lighter drybrush with a mix of White and Purple, brought out the details. The raised bumps were just painted Off-White and White.

The trunks were given a couple of coats of thinned Forest Flesh and a wash with Seraphim Sepia. I drybrushed some more Forest Flesh to bring out the texture, then added Ivory to it for the second highlights.

Their bases were covered with Mod Podge, flock and a couple of small stones, and I cracked out the purple flowers to add some more colour. I painted two small mushrooms and glued them in place, and they were done!

More scenery is on its way soon!

16 comments:

  1. The cavern pools are excellent and the largest would make a superb centre-piece for any game. The mushroom trees look very alien too so will fit in well with fantasy and alien world settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! I too think the large pools would be a great focus for a game.

      Delete
  2. Excellent work Matt, the pools and mushrooms all look fantastic and fit in multiple settings, and great work with the resin as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave! Happily the resin worked really well and gave me confidence to try more of this type of scenery.

      Delete
  3. I like those a lot Matt, mainly because of the top paint-jobs you've achieved with them. PLA prints are definitely a bit hit & miss for me, but I thought these looked rather good - or at least your painting has covered over the print marks. The rock pools in particular would grace any tabletop imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong, Simon, PLA can be a sod especially if it's used to make figures. But it's well suited to scenery like this and provides a great surface for drybrushing.

      Delete
  4. Matt, my man, you are a scenery monster!! The pools look fantastic, and I kinda wish I had seen those before I started my own pool. One, I might have bought one of those same models instead. Two, you did a way better job than I have! I really like them and the color of the water turned out amazing. I also really like the mushrooms, and they would be quite awesome for a D&D Underdark setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian! I have to admit, buying prints such as these is a way easier method of getting a pool done rather than trying to knock one up yourself. The water colour is easy, just add a couple of drops of whichever wash you like to the resin (BEFORE pouring it lol), stir it in, and then add more drops as needed.

      Delete
  5. Your scenery kung-fu is strong, my friend. These are wonderful! Resin makes me crazy. I made a sludge pool a few years ago and I made sure to put it on a level surface before pouring the resin into the pool. After I poured it, I found out the surface was level, but the bottom of the pooI was pouring the resin into wasn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Keith! Man, that would kill me to find out the pool base wasn't level LOL! Making sure the model is on a level surface is something that didn't occur to me til the third time I did a pour, but luckily I seem to have got away with it :-)

      Delete
  6. Everything here looks really great and full of personality. I like the caverns and the water effect but those giant purple mushrooms are pretty darn cool. I enjoy the kind of terrain that I can paint up and call it done or do some simple basework (like flock and tufts) and call it a day and so both of these terrain pieces are right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff, the mushroom trees turned out pretty well for a couple of basic scenery items. I'm like you, if I can bang out some decent-looking scenery in a couple of hours I'm happy (he says while spending ages on other scenery projects lol)

      Delete
  7. You really have that resin stuff down mate! All these pieces look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. John@justneedsvarnishFriday, July 28, 2023

    These are all really nice nice Matt! :-) You've really nailed that pool look with the resin! I find that PLA prints work quite well with scenery items so you can buy quite big pieces at a reasonable price and they're virtually indestructible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! PLA is very robust, I think it's tougher than the smoother resin stuff, and as such it's really good for larger prints. The top pool cost about $10 and the multi-level one was about $15, so really good value for money.

      Delete