8 June 2023

Gob Marley

You can't have night goblins without a shaman, right?

After much searching on Etsy and even Ebay for a gobbo shaman who would match the look of all my others, I gave in and bought this one. It's a bit more complicated a figure than I was after — I really wanted a basic shaman holding a staff topped with a crescent moon — but once the mini showed up in the mail I realised how cool it really is.

Like his brethren, Gob was sprayed with black primer after being glued to a 32mm base. I kicked off with the shaman himself, using the same colours — Waaagh Flesh and Death Guard Green — for his skin as all the others. The trim on the bottom of his robe is Averland Sunset, Yriel Yellow and Dorn Yellow, and the ribbons(?) hanging down the back are Barak-Nar Burgundy and Screamer Pink. And for God's sake I just realised I didn't paint his belt. Duh.

With Gob himself painted it was time to move on to the rest of the model. The huge mushroom he's standing on was given a basecoat of Violet and then a drybrush with Thousand Sons Blue and Ahriman Blue. Its stalk is Green Ochre washed with Seraphim Sepia and highlighted with Beige.

The thing sitting on Gob's head, which I assume is some kind of mushroom creature, was painted all over with a couple of coats of Off-White. After shading it with Seraphim Sepia, it was highlighted with pure White before having its cap painted Flat Red and Vermilion. The spots are White.

And now for the huge cloud of smoke he's exhaling. There's a squig forming in the smoke, and I certainly didn't want the smoke to be grey, so after giving it a couple of coats of White I used Fluorescent Magenta to give it a nice other-worldly look. The magenta isn't the best at covering its basecoat, so it was a case of going over and over the smoke until I got the look I wanted. I added some White to highlight it.

I'd already painted Gob's eyes red, but given he appears to be stoned off his tits I redid them, one with Moot Green and the other with Wild Rider Red, and made his pupils different sizes.

Gob's a great figure and looks way better in real life than in my crappy photos. 

The bear necessities

I took my trail cam into work last week and caught a few pics of the bear that uses our dumpster like a free buffet. Here he is checking out the surroundings before legging it into the woods with a pack of bacon in his mouth.

The cam also picked up one of our regular customers doing a bit of dumpster diving. So now, whenever he's in the store, we try to mention the dumpster as much as possible.

14 comments:

  1. Excellent job on the shaman Matt, it may not have been what you were looking for, but it is an awesome figure and suited for a leader model, and the forming squig is awesome.
    You'll get yourself kicked off blogger showing bare pictures ! LOL that is one big bear, hopefully you and the other members of staff are safe going to the dumpster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! Although I wasn't too keen on the mini and bought it more out of necessity, now it's painted I love it. As for the bear, we just take the trash out at midday LOL! It's a black bear, which aren't really known for attacking people, but it's better to be safe.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love that gobbo! The sculpt is just so interesting with your painting really bringing out all the details. Especially like that lovely vibrant pink of his breath/spell!

    Time to invest in bear proof locks, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dai! Vibrant pink was the way to go, or it would have been fluorescent yellow if I could have found it LOL!

      Delete
  3. I still get shocked by the bear stuff :O
    About the mini, it's pure genius in its design, but your paintjob is magnificent, the smoke is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked too when I saw the video and photos from the camera, Suber! Although I am glad we're keeping him well fed LOL! Thanks for the praise on the smoke, I was a bit nervous about how it would turn out but it looks great.

      Delete
  4. We also have bear problems around these parts this year, Matt. Unusual for us, but typical for VT, as I understand. Stay away. Black bears are pretty timid, but still...no sense getting eaten in pursuit of a picture. :) Nice work on the gobbo. Bright, vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do my best to not be eaten by a bear, Keith! The photo's off my trail cam, which was set up the previous afternoon and just left to run all night. I think the photo is from around 5am, so none of us were around at that time.

      Delete
  5. That is a great looking shaman and I like the idea of the squiq too. It really does make for a nice, magical effect which fits a shaman well. Yogi seems to be pretty comfortable in the dumpster there. He's eating pretty well too, I'd have to say! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! Magical is sort of what I was going for, so I'm glad you could see it!

      Delete
  6. John@can'tuseakeyboardSunday, June 11, 2023

    Just had finger trouble and posted my last blank comment and removed it! What a dope! The gobbo shaman is brilliant, Matt! :-) A really nice mini and I like your colour choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, John! The magenta was a bit of a gamble but it paid and makes the smoke look very different :-)

      Delete
  7. Really nice Goblin Shaman you picked out there and wonderfully job painting him up. I have to bow to your paint mastery over Fluorescent Pink. I've tried various fluorescent colors (and brands), and few have ever worked for me. It sounds like lots of thin layers and patience is the trick?!
    Annnnnd....that's a pretty big Black Bear! What I would have gave for a pic of a black bear carrying off one of our customers, back when I worked in retail!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian! The magenta was a real pain in the arse to get right, I had to thin the crap out of it to get it to flow properly. Lots of layers and avoiding overpainting damp bits is the key, so it takes a lot of time to do as you have to wait for each layer to dry thoroughly.

      Delete