9 June 2023

'Take us to your leader'


Truly, Etsy is the impulse buy section of the internet.

I only saw these alien invaders because they popped up in the "similar to your favourites" section of my homepage and, well, it had to be done. I painted them over the past couple of days and they were a nice break from the more complicated stuff I've been doing recently.

I do love the James Bond-esque pose of the one on the left. Anyway, after priming them with grey spray paint I looked around my paint collection for a suitable spacesuit colour. I decided on Canoptek Alloy, a very light gold that I've owned for months but never actually used. Two thin coats were all it took to make the aliens look suitably otherworldly. 

In case you're wondering why they have bare feet, it's because the feet looked weird painted gold so I used their skin tone.

Speaking of skin tones, despite these being the classic grey aliens of abduction stories and X-Files fame I didn't want just a dull grey look. Instead I used Warpfiend Grey to basecoat them, some Druchii Violet mixed with Vallejo glaze medium to shade them, and then Slaanesh Grey for the highlights.

After the skin was dry I mixed some more glaze medium with Seraphim Sepia and shaded their spacesuits.

The middle one seems to be performing Hamlet while invading Earth, which is some pretty good multitasking.

All the weapons were painted Leadbealcher and washed with Nuln Oil, as were any silvery parts of their suits. The three helmets were given a base of Chocolate Brown and a coat of Bronze before being washed with more Seraphim Sepia. Their eyes were painted Black and the heavy weapon thingy on the right had its tip glazed with Thousand Sons Blue, Deep Sky Blue, Sky Blue and White.

Their bases are just covered with Vallejo Black Lava paste and then painted Violet before being drybrushed with Hexed Lichen and Ahriman Blue.

There are nine of these chaps because the tenth suffered a fatal accident when I dropped him on the hardwood floor and he basically shattered. I was able to recover most of him, but his right leg and arm are having the holiday of a lifetime somewhere in the kitchen.

18 comments:

  1. Great to see some Big Mr Tong sculpts on your site, Matt, and you've definitely done them proud. I've yet to print these guys out myself but you've definitely made me bump them up the list. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Mr Big Tong's models and these aliens are among the best, so I snapped them up. You really should print yours and give 'em a go!

      Delete
  2. Excellent work on these Grey's Matt, the subtle tones you've added in creates a lot of interest in the models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave, I thought the Canoptek Alloy was a more interesting colour for their spacesuits than the usual silver. The skin tone was a doddle once I planned it out in my head :-)

      Delete
  3. Haha, I love them! Before I read it, I was wondering how you made the skin, it's truly fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Suber, the skin turned out really well!

      Delete
  4. John@justneedsvarnishSunday, June 11, 2023

    Oooh I like these! Very nice! :-) The closed helmets look really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John, I'm well happy with the helmets as I wanted a colour that would be opaque, a bit alien and would match their suits. Bronze worked perfectly!

      Delete
  5. I have a bunch of Reaper Greys I need to get to, and I am officially stealing your skin recipe. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away, Keith! I also have some Reaper greys floating around somewhere, I'll have to dig them up.

      Delete
  6. You're becoming obseesed with Etsy and it's no wonder when we see what you can produce from there
    I like these guys a lot and just about seeing the head of the guys with closed helmets on is a superb effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! I am getting a bit obsessed with finding stuff on Etsy but that's because there are so many cool minis available on it :-) Glad you like the greys, they came out looking great and the helmets went better than I hoped!

      Delete
  7. I think I might have to buy some stock in Etsy as it looks like their profits are only going to go up!! These are some more interesting finds (and hopefully a premonition of a game to come!). The painting is subtle but really nicely done. From that smooth purple skin to the use of Canoptek. Maybe it's a bit more shiny outside of the photos, but I thought you had glazed some tannish gray color on their suits. Great choice on the Canoptek, and I agree that it's a really nice color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Brian! Buying stock in Etsy might be a good idea seeing how many minis I'm buying off them LOL! I do have an idea for a game involving these chaps so hopefully I'll get around to thinking up a scenario and nicking some rules at some point LOL!

      I did wash their suits with thinned Seraphim Sepia to add shadows and cut down on the shininess a bit.

      Delete
  8. Splendid looking aliens, really nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to see the Etsy well hasn't run dry yet, Matt! :) These look like a great change of pace from what you've been working on and the final results speak for themselves. I could even see these guys taking on the Muppets one day (if they don't appear on X-Files first)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, the day the Etsy well runs dry is a day I don't want to be around for LOL! These aliens were a nice break from giant monsters and night goblins and they look great.

      Delete