30 May 2023

Monster Mayhem: Minotaur Lord

What's this? A non-Etsy model? What's going on?

With all three of the minis I ordered from Etsy still not delivered I was left scrambling around for more Monster May(hem) stuff to paint. Luckily I remembered buying this chap off Amazon a couple of years ago and found him on a shelf in the spare room.

Before I get onto the painting, I have to say that the difference between this Reaper model and the 3D prints I've been buying is incredible. I'm not going to dump on Reaper as I think they're a great mini company and I've bought and enjoyed painting tons of their figures over the past five years, but Jesus, that white plastic really didn't work well, did it? Soft details, bendy bits, parts that don't quite fit together, other parts that don't really fit together at all... painting the minotaur lord really brought home the quality of 3D printing. Reaper's newer black/grey plastic is much better, but 3D printing is pretty much the future. I'm trying to remember the last time I bought a Reaper figure, and I think it was in February, which is shocking given how many I'd get off Amazon every month.

Anyway, painting.

I glued him to a 60mm base and after spraying the minotaur black, I kicked off with a solid coat of Rhinox Hide all over his skin to give it a deep brown basecoat. After that it was on to highlighting, using thinned Dryad Bark and Mahogany Brown to bring out his muscles. When all that was dried, he got a coat of Reikland Fleshshade to tone things down a bit and keep the reddish look.


With his skin out of the way I hit his armour with Bronze. After getting it all nice and shiny, it was washed with Seraphim Sepia to bring out the details and give the Bronze a deeper tone. I used Brass and Gold to highlight it, and then gave the armour a second Seraphim Sepia wash to cut down on the shininess.

All the straps holding on the armour were painted Charcoal. I'd usually use browns but I didn't want them disappearing into his skin. They were highlighted with a mix of Charcoal and Neutral Grey and then some Dawnstone, and the buckles were done with Iron Warriors.

See how the haft of his weapon is bent? Yep, crappy white Reaper plastic. It's supposed to be straight but I wasn't even going to bother trying to fix it, and I think the minotaur having a whip topped by a whopping blade is pretty cool. His right hand is a separate piece, so I did the weapon with Charcoal, Iron Warriors, Leadblecher and Silver and then washed it with Nuln Oil. I'd already painted the hand, so it was just a case of gluing it in place, filling the gaps with greenstuff and then painting it to match the rest of the skin.

Onto the bone areas, which were basecoated with Bone Shadow and then given a coat of Bonewhite. I used a mix of Off-White and Bonewhite to highlight it, and then the curvy carvings in his horns were slowly filled in with thinned Seraphim Sepia. The horns were also separate pieces, but I stuck them on before I began painting because the gaps needed a lot of filling. The rings around the horns were done the same way as his armour.

The bull's head on his shoulder pad and his tabard were both painted with Thousand Sons and then highlighted with a mix of Ahriman Blue and White. The hair on his head and tail were done with Charcoal and Dawnstone.

And now for the base. I was totally stuck for ideas, except I didn't want to do a grassy base as I thought it wouldn't suit the figure. I went with sand/desert, using a bag of small yellow stones I picked up at Michael's a few years back. The base was plastered with Mod Podge and the stones were dumped on, and the next morning I shook off the loose stones and gave the base another coat of Mod Podge to seal everything on.

One of the fun things about this hobby is painting real things to look like real things. The stones were given a once-over with XV-88 and a topcoat of Zandri Dust before being highlighted with Karak Stone. Once dry it was washed with Seraphim Sepia, and I stuck a few desert tufts on to break up the stony look.

More monsters to come!

Monster May(hem) might have only one day to go, but I have another post to write and I'm still working on a whopper of a Reaper mini. Stay tuned!

14 comments:

  1. Excellent work Matt, you've really captured the feel of this model. and your colour choices really bring the piece to life. 3D printing does have it's merits but the shallow detail on a lot of the prints is still a problem, so there are pros and cons to all mediums. Hope you get the other models done in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! It's a pretty basic colour scheme — brown, blue, iron, bronze and bone — but it works well and looks good, and that's all that really matters. I have to admit, I haven't had any issues with soft details on 3D prints as yet.

      Delete
  2. Not my fav sculpt by Reaper but you’ve made it look pretty darn good mate - excellent work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dai! I have to say that this one was an impulse buy and I wasn't really that impressed with the sculpt, but now it's painted I like it a lot better.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic job as always, Matt. I will add it to the submission list on the blogroll, along with any other minis you complete for MM! You really embrace the spirit of the challenge every year!
    Regarding Reaper, it's true their black plastic is miles ahead of the white stuff...I found the white stuff far too bendy, especially on weapons and such. That's why metal is the only way to go and forever shall be!!!! I have to say that while I'm certainly impressed with the work you've done on 3D-printed models, I have not had very good luck with the 3D-printed models I have purchased off of Etsy. I suupose I could get an entire post out of that, so maybe I should...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Keith! Monster May(hem) is by far my fave challenge and I always enjoy it and seem to find interesting stuff to paint.

      As for 3D over other media, I have to admit that I didn't think too much of 3D prints this time last year and pretty much ignored them. But after buying some sci-fi figures I realised how good they could be, and how I was able to get much larger models at a pretty reasonable price. I'm sure I'll keep buying the occasional Reaper figure but for now I'm all about printing. I just wish I had bought a 3D printer when I had the chance.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I really thought at first it was some kind of bizarre whip!! Apart of that, the model is impressive, and I love the skin tones and the whole work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suber! When I got him out of the package I thought it was a whip too, it wasn't until I looked at painted examples online that I realised it's supposed to be an actual handle LOL! I'm well happy with his skin tones, I've never painted that amount of brown skin before and it was fairly easy to make it look good.

      Delete
  5. Nice paints on that mini! As you know, I get a commission every time I mention Reaper Paints *ka-ching!*...I'm still waiting for the first check though, hmmm... But yea, I avoid the white bendy minis unless it's the only option for a particular mini I'm looking for. The Bones Black is nicer and they recently released a 3D printed mini that was pretty sweet too. Being in the US, you might try buying off their site as you get their free 'mini of the month'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Brian! I've bought a lot of Reaper minis from their site and more from Amazon, and I've always liked their sculpts and the sheer range of figures they do. I've also still got quite a few unpainted ones to do so they'll be up at some point.

      Delete
  6. Its tough not to love a Minotaur! That is a cool sculpt and its interesting reading about your experiences with the mini too. I've only bought one Reaper mini and it was metal and I didn't get on with it. Metal does sound preferable to bendy plastic though. I have painted a few minis like that and its really hard to deal with. Regardless, I really like how the fur came out and the metallics you chose balance the mini out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jeff! I've never had a problem with metal Reaper minis apart from the usual flash trimming. But the original Reaper Bones was a bit of a disaster in terms of soft details and being too bendy. Thankfully they've switched to the grey plastic which is much tougher.

      Delete
  7. John@justneedsvarnishSunday, June 11, 2023

    I think that's quite an impressive mini! :-) That skin tone looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! I'm happy with the skin, it turned out really good.

      Delete