12 May 2023

Monster Mayhem: Jötunn Moder

I'm running late with this year's Monster May(hem); by this time last year I'd knocked out three models. But finally here's my first entry in 2023's challenge.

You might recognise the Jötunn Moder from the 2017 British horror movie The Ritual. If you haven't seen it, watch it, it's awesome. Four British blokes go backpacking in Scandinavia, get lost in the woods, and things go to shit very quickly. The monster doesn't appear till almost the end, but it's well worth the wait. I've also read the book, and it's good but the movie is better.

Anyway, onto the painting.

The mini is from Etsy and it's a really good 3D print. I sprayed it with black primer to give it a nice dark base and then gave it a couple of thin coats of Rhinox Hide to kick off the browns.

It got a heavy drybrush with Dryad Bark for the first highlights. As I wanted to give it a greenish look I gave it a couple of coats of Athonian Camoshade.

After a second highlight with Earth, I gave the Jötunn another Camoshade wash and considered the skin done. It's still dark and gloomy but the highlights bring out the details well and the green tint is just enough.

Next up was its horns and the bones sticking up from its back, which got a coat of Aged Bone over the browns as a basecoat and then a couple of thin coats of Screaming Skull. After a wash with Seraphim Sepia, I added some Pallid Wytch Flesh to the Screaming Skull and used it to highlight the horns and also try to do some kind of blend from the brown arms to the bone horns.

As I wanted the Jötunn to look as if it is actually part of the forest, I stuck flock to its sides and top with Mod Podge and daubed it with more Athonian Camoshade. Once dry it was sealed on with diluted Mod Podge, and the monster was basically done.

I'd already superglued it to a 40mm base before painting (it's too small for a 60mm base, and I don't have any 50mm ones) and I used some Crayola putty stuff to make a couple of small mounds. I got a twig from the 50 billion or so in our backyard and glued it in place, then painted the base with Chocolate Brown and covered it with flock mix. I thought it looked a bit bare, so I glued on a bunch of dead leaves to increase the forest floor look.

Coming very soon: a troll and another whopping Calden Keep mini!

18 comments:

  1. Excellent piece Matt, I have seen the film it's based on, so instantly recognised it, in the movie it's very hard to see details so the model has shown a lot more, love the addition of the flock gives it a real feel it's part of it's surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! The mini really captures the look of the movie's creature. I'm well happy with it.

      Delete
  2. Gasp! I'm having nightmares tonight! Really splendid job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Suber, if it's causing you nightmares then I've succeeded lol :-)

      Delete
  3. That is a creepy looking monster to be sure. I like the natural tones you used on it as they help make it look like it could be found in a forest near you. And that is a terrifying thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jeff! Given we have a massive forest literally 10 feet from our house I do wonder if something like this causes the noises I hear while having a cig at 6am LOL! Glad you like the mini, it turned out really well.

      Delete
  4. This looks great, Matt! That's a unique-looking monster for sure, and you've done an awesome job as always. I have to admit I saw the movie but I didn't like it very much. I know I'm in the minority!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! I do love the movie but I don't like Thundercats, so I guess we cancel each other out LOL!

      Delete
  5. John@justneedsvarnishSunday, May 14, 2023

    That really is the stuff of nightmares! Looks way too lifelike to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, John, I'm always happy when my minis give people nightmares LOL!

      Delete
  6. Definetly the stuff nightmares are made from and the effort to make it part of the forest is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! I'm glad I added the flock to the model, it adds so much more texture and atmosphere.

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a sculpt and I love the use of flock on it's hide. Great effort mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dai, the flock was a great touch.

      Delete
  8. Awesome work Matt, and the flock was a cracking idea, imho. That looks epic in a truly disturbing way, LOL!! Top paint-job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If only you had a penny for every twig in your back yard, haha! The mini looks great, I like the natural colors and the flocking on top really added a lot. I could imagine this appearing in a Sandman comic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Brian, I'd be loaded LOL! And yes, it would be a perfect creature for a Sandman adventure :-)

      Delete