27 May 2023

Monster Mayhem: Shambler

Imagine taking a stroll through the forest and suddenly being attacked by an ambulatory salad.

This shambler was an impulse buy from Etsy. I liked the look of the mini and I haven't painted anything like this before, and I knew it would work for Monster May(hem). It took all of a couple of hours (including cig breaks and having lunch) to knock this one out.

I kicked off with black primer to give it some dark shadows before plastering it with Heavy Black Green. After that I gave it a heavy overbrush with Mutation Green and then a lighter overbrush with Park Flat Green. The model's got tons of chunky detail, making it perfect for this technique.

With the main colours on I switched to layering, using Light Green first and then going up to Yellow Green. I added some White for the final layers to bring out the finer details over the creature's face and upper back/arms. And the greens are all done!

There aren't a ton of little details on this one, which is a relief after the Fungal Troll, and I got them done pretty quickly. The mushrooms on its back are just Flat Red and Vermilion with Forest Flesh for the stalks, and I used the point of a toothpick dipped in White to do the dots. 

The leaves growing out of its arms and back were originally the same green shades as the main body, but they didn't show up very well. I went over them with some Chocolate Brown and Orange Brown and a wash with Seraphim Sepia before giving them a gentle drybrush with Light Brown.

The shambler came on an integral 50mm base. I plastered it with matte Mod Podge and dumped on a ton of flock, and once that was dry I added a couple of mushrooms left over from my Moon Idol and a couple of flower tufts. After painting the base rim Black and giving the shambler a coat of matte varnish, it was finished. 

The shambler was a quick, simple project and made a nice palate cleanser after the much larger minis I've been painting recently. But it's back to whopping figures soon and I'm hoping to get one of them finished today, so stay tuned!

If you go 'round to the back of the store you're sure of a big surprise...


I guess the local bear got into the dumpster behind our store. We had to bin some out-of-date hotdog sausages, bacon and burgers, so for once our ursine visitor had something decent to eat. But he could have cleaned up after himself.


He did leave a bunch of pawprints, which are pretty large next to my size nine boot. This is why we don't take the trash out at night any more.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the shambler Matt, always liked this type of creature as it reminds me of Swamp Thing and Man Thing from the comics, you've picked out some great detail on the beast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to say just the same as Dave, it has quite a Swamp Thing (or Man Thing) vibe! Pretty nice! Wow, that bear is quite a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swamp thing for sure. Easy paint jobs are needed from time to time and when they looks as nice as this make for a good warm feeling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn, everyone beat me to the Man-Thing , because I was just about to say "This one could easily be a monster from the Swamp Thing comic!" (more Vertigo Comics, get it?!?!). The mini and paints look good. I thought for sure that must be a Reaper mini, but I guess no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a cool sculpt! For me, it reminds me of the old Magic the Gathering card, Force of Nature. I wouldn't be shocked if Man-Thing or Swamp Thing influenced that though. Either way, it looks like a fun change of pace and it turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John@justneedsvarnishSunday, June 11, 2023

    That is such a brilliant mini, Matt! :-) And I can see why you wouldn't want to be round the back of the store at night!

    ReplyDelete