29 April 2023

Night Goblins archers and fanatics

I know I said in my last post that my next model was going to be something a bit more veggie, but I decided to hang on to that mini for Monster May(hem). So here are some more gobbos.

I didn't get a bargain with these little chaps but they were still reasonably priced and shipping wasn't too bad despite them being sent from the UK. They match my first bunch of goblins perfectly in terms of size and looks, and they'll give the gobbos some much-needed ranged fire.

All the diminutive maniacs were given a spray of black primer before being painted in the exact same way as their close-combat counterparts, so I'll spare you the details of painting them (and there was much rejoicing).

The command group has a way better flag with the iconic bad moon emblem and a dwarf skull, complete with braided beard, attached to its pole. The beard is a combination of Mephiston Red and Troll Slayer Orange and provides a nice burst of colour among all the black, green and yellow.

I do like that the musician has his hood down and looks like he's about to go all John Bonham on the moon gong thingy.

Goblin fanatics are among my faves simply because their whole "getting pissed on mushroom beer and spinning around" thing is so amusing, especially when they're so smashed they reel straight back into their own troops.

The balls and chains are just Leadbelcher and Nuln Oil over Iron Warriors. The central figure is taking a swig of more 'shroom beer, and painting the jug to look like it contained purple liquid was a bit of a bugger. In retrospect I should probably have done the container in a solid colour, but it was worth a go.

The gobbo on the right is showing a bit of leg, and as I have no idea of what goblins wear under their robes (and frankly I don't want to know) I painted it in the basic skin tones of Waaagh! Flesh and Death Guard Green.

The only thing I did differently with these batches of gobbos was putting the sand on the bases before priming them, which sped things up a lot when it came to finishing them off.

Next up: Probably the scenery and a group shot. Oh, and my first-ever resin pour!


Monster May(hem)

My fave challenge (Dave, Season of Scenery is a close second!) kicks off in two days. I doubt I'll match my output of the last couple of years, and there won't be any conversions involving two Oldhammer metal minis, but I have three or four monsters ready to go and two more on the way from the money pit otherwise known as Etsy. Whatever happens, it's always a blast and it's great to see what the other participants come up with.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the Gobbos Matt, you've got quite the little army already done. Look forward to seeing what you do for Monster May(hem) this year, and great that you will be participating again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you can't go wrong with Night Goblins, I have a soft spor for them, they look so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, the fanatics, my all time favourites of GW fantasy, even though I've never owned or painted any, Great job once more on these and the mossiletroops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More great looking gobbos, Matt! I didn't know the Fanatics had their legs showing, I guess the modeler decided a change was in order! Painting bottles with liquid is definitely a challenge. I don't think I've ever been happy with my results.

    I'd add a thin line across the top of the liquid, maybe a lighter purple or white if you want it foamy. Next a spot of white for a light reflection off the bottle, followed by a gloss varnish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These will fit in just nicely with the last batch. Great stuff and I like the liquid effect you painted on the bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. John@justneedsvarnishWednesday, May 10, 2023

    Very nice, Matt! :-) Quite a varied bunch as well! I have just bought my first 3D printed figures (as opposed to vehicles) off Etsy and am quite impressed!

    ReplyDelete