12 August 2022

STV-714 Scrapyard Bot

The STV-714, or "Stevie" as it's universally known, is a large bot used to move heavy items around. They're mostly used in scrapyards and can usually be found lugging bits of junk to the melting pits. 

If you guessed that I bought Stevie on Etsy, congratulations! You've won a prize! (Editor's note: there is no prize). He's a cool mini and a chunky one, standing about two inches high. As you can never have enough robots, I bought him.

Stevie was a nice quick and easy paintjob. He was sprayed with black primer then given a couple of coats of Averland Sunset. I dirtied his paintwork with a generous amount of Nuln Oil, then gave him a light drybrush of Averland Sunset mixed with Moon Stone, a pale yellow made by Army Painter.

He got another coat of Nuln Oil and then I set about knackering his nice yellow paint with lots of Iron Warriors, which I stippled on with a crappy old brush.

I have to say, looking at him now I overdid the weathering a bit especially on his hands and lower arms. I wanted Stevie to have a very worn and dirty look but as usual I think I overdid it.

A second drybrushing of Plate Metal finished the weathering, and I slapped on a third coat of Nuln Oil to darken it.

I don't know why he has what appear to be bandages around his arms, but whatever. They got a coat of Off-White and a wash with Seraphim Sepia, and then a light highlight with more Off-White.

He's on an integral 60mm base on which I tried to make an effort for once. It was painted with Iron Warriors and given a thorough wash with yet more Nuln Oil. I painted the hazard stripes with Filthy Brown and Black, and the pipes at the rear Sky Blue, Wild Rider Red and Sybarite Green.

 A coat of matte varnish and Stevie was done. Nice!

20 comments:

  1. Excellent robot Matt, I think your weathering looks perfect for a scrap yard bot, as the chances of keeping paint pristine would be zero ! LOL I love the sculpt, has a great feel to it, and really like the non human proportions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! I did think I'd overdone the weathering to the point where Stevie looks like he's wearing silver gloves LOL!

      Delete
  2. John@justneedsvarnishFriday, August 12, 2022

    He looks great, Matt! :-) Weathering looks spot on to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven looks great and I really like the base you put him on. It helps fill out the scene if you know what I mean. I feel like Etsy could become a dangerous and expensive place for you to spend your time as you seem to be finding all kinds of cool minis to paint there :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! The base is an integral one, as seems to be the case with a lot of 3D prints. I just took a bit more time over this one as it had more detail than the 25mm bases. And I'm afraid that Etsy is already a dangerously expensive place for me, but I appreciate the warning LOL!

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a great paint job, really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a charming one. I love how you weathered this fella, he looks really worn out, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Suber, he does look a bit knackered :-)

      Delete
  6. Excellent brushwork on a very interesting huge Robot with a 'proper' role.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Stevie!" Love the background and the name! And he looks great with that industrial yellow and nicely weathered. The bands are an odd bit indeed. Maybe they can strap stuff to his arms? You got me! I'd probably have painted them a dark leather or maybe even black rubber. But they look great as is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faust, and I too have no idea what the bands around his arms are for. I thought off-white worked but you're right, doing them as black rubber might have been a bit more industrial.

      Delete
  8. I have to agree I think your weathering is absolutely spot on! looks like he's been around the block more than a few times! Great work on a nice miniature mate!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger, I think it's safe to say that Stevie has been worked hard during his lifetime!

      Delete
  9. Thanks a lot for describing so carefully how you painted Stevie, because (as the other commentators have pointed out), you've really hit the sweet-spot between weathering the miniature without making him seem overly grungy. I love him! (And will be trying out your technique myself soon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Matthew, I'm glad I could give you pointers on how to weather a large robot LOL!

      Delete
  10. Looks just fine from here mate, reminds me of an old forklift from the yard of my mum’s old place of work in Pembroke Dock (a site welding business for refineries). That thing was beaten up to all hell and probably 30 years old. Had the same weathered yellow paint all scraped off etc. Very convincing effect on this robot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea why this comment published as "Anonymous"....? Stupid Blogger. I am far from anonymous. I'm not even a mouse.

      Delete