24 August 2022

Girl power

All four of these minis are by Reaper, and they're really good sculpts with lots of detail that doesn't drive you up the wall like some other manufacturers' figures *cough*Citadel*cough*. 

Rosie is a Cronotechnician, and I'm not exactly sure what that means. Does she fix clocks? I think she's based on Kaylee, the cute mechanic in Firefly and Serenity. Anyway, she comes with the option of holding a wrench or a rifle, so I went for the massive tool a la Father Ted:


With the inevitable innuendo out the way, I kicked off by painting her boots, apron and belt black, and then did her trousers with Flat Earth. Rosie's shirt is Heavy Orange and her gloves Chocolate and Mahogany browns. 

I painted the wrench separately with Plate Metal and Flat Red, and then glued it in place. As I had some of the red left over I used it on her laces, then highlighted her belt with Plate Metal.

Dee Dee, Astro Girl, to give her her full name, is a mini I've liked for ages. She's so retro it's awesome, and she makes a good match for Betty, Space Heroine.

I primed her white and painted her all over with Screamer Pink, a Citadel base colour that covers a lot better than Vallejo's Wizard's Robe. Dee Dee's uniform was highlighted with Pink Horror and Pink.

I thought about doing the trim in gold or silver, but thought white would pop better. I started off by giving the areas a coat of Off-White as a sort of primer, then went over it with White. Her gloves and boots are Plate Metal just to add a third colour.

Her pistols are Casandora Yellow wash over Heavy Orange. I usually don't like dual-wield figures but Dee Dee's pose works. Her hair is just Yriel Yellow over Averland Sunset.

Sarah Blitzer is an IMEF sniper. I have no idea what IMEF is, but Reaper does a range of sci-fi troops under that banner. How she lugs that rifle around is beyond me.

Sarah's a repaint; I originally painted her back in 2019 in Light Turquoise, and although she looked good I was never 100% happy with it. So she was chucked into a Simple Green bath to strip the paint.

After priming her black I was stuck for colours, so I just went with a coat of Black all over her outfit. I used Heavy Black Green and Park Green Flat to highlight the armour plates and gloves, and Black Grey for the cloth areas.

Her hair is Violet and Hexed Lichen as I couldn't decide between blonde, brunette or redhead. Her whopping weapon is Black Grey highlighted with Mechanicus Standard Grey, and I added a small area of orange to add a spot of colour.

According to Reaper's site, Jessica Blaze is a smuggler and she certainly has the look of someone who isn't adverse to shooting her way out of a sticky situation.

I started with her boots, giving them a coat of Heavy Flesh Tone and adding some Ivory for the highlights. The metal buckles are Brass over Filthy Brown. Jessica's jeans are Blue-Grey washed with Nuln Oil, and her jacket is Hexed Lichen with Silver trim.

You can't really see her crop top but it's Khorne and Flat reds, and her gloves are Black Grey. Some Chocolate Brown and Flat Earth worked for her hair, and then it was just a case of painting her pistol. I went with Iron Warriors, Leadbelcher and Flat Blue.

All their skin was painted the same way: my own flesh mix, washed with Reikland Fleshshade and highlighted with more of my mix with some added Basic Flesh.

I've been basing these sci-fi models on 32mm bases and the other day I realised that they don't really work. A chunky Space Marine or Harlequin looks good on a 32mm base, but your average human is a bit lost. So bought a pack of 100 25mm bases from Amazon and began using those, and I'm going to have to rebase several figures. 

I did debate doing the newer bases in a sand look, but as I wanted something a bit more alien I used Vallejo Black Lava paste painted with Hexed Lichen. After a wash of Druchii Violet they were highlighted with Blue Violet and Sky Blue. I've used up 20 bases already and have several more to do yet, but it'll keep me out of trouble.

Till next time, amigos!

22 comments:

  1. Great work on all 4 Matt, there's a lot of character in each sculpt, that you've elevated with your painting. As for carrying the big rifle, she must have big muscles, not bodybuilder type, but if you do the same job enough times your muscles become stronger without taking on mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, endurance vs bulk muscles. Why a swimmer or runner might look leaner than a body builder.

      Delete
    2. Cheers, Dave! I guess Sarah could get used to lugging that rifle around but I thought I'd paint it as plastic/carbon fibre to do her a favour LOL!

      Delete
    3. Yep, Faust, I remember that from my gym days, as opposed to now, which are more like my sit-around-and-eat days...

      Delete
  2. Very nice pack of futuristic fems. They look like crisp sculpts too (Reaper Black?). I have a few of the original Reaper white Bones girls and have yet to put paint on them as that rubbery material is gawd awful on slender sculpts. (On dragons and the like though, just lovely and cheap!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dai! They're all metal sculpts because none are available in the black Bones plastic, only in the crappy white stuff.

      Delete
  3. Excellent quartet, Matt. I think Dee Dee, Astro Girl is my fave of the bunch, but they're all very nice indeed. Are they metal..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Simon! They are metal. Jessica is my fave, I love her pose, but Dee Dee is up there for her sheer retroness :-)

      Delete
  4. Hmm, all of them have a very particular charm, and that makes them great. Very nice (and clever) work with such distinctive palettes. Really cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suber! I went out of my way to make their colour schemes distinctive just to add to their character a bit.

      Delete
  5. Lovely! I always find it difficult painting female faces, something about my daubed 'Impressionism-like' style just looks dreadful, but not these - splendid work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Michael! I have to admit, a face is a face when it comes to painting, the only thing I really have problems with female faces is doing lipstick and makeup :-O)

      Delete
  6. You've been busy buddy! I think they all look great! I can see the Kaylee resemblance in Rosie. Mostly the eyes and the cheekbones. I tend to struggle with pink, so I'm impressed with Dee Dee's all pink outfit. Looks like I did buy some pinks from AK, but I don't remember how they fared. They have a "Laser Magenta" which covered in one less coat than Screamer Pink in a swatch test I did. But I'd have to do more testing before I'd highly recommend it. I like Jessica's jeans (wait a sec, that came out wrong...). The denim color is pretty nice. What brand is the "Blue Grey" paint? Reading your posts with all the paints used is pretty helpful and reminds me I should be doing more of that. Maybe once my work slows down and I have more mental capacity again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention, a quick google turned up a likely candidate for "IMEF". 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. Sometimes '1MEF' or 'IMEF'. I guess in the latter case "I" is the Roman numeral "1"?

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Faust! I should be used to painting pink given all the Slaanesh models I've painted :-) I used to use Vallejo Wizard's Robe, a magenta, as a base for pink but it takes a couple of coats to cover the primer, so I switched to Screamer Pink because although Citadel paints have their issues, the base paints are excellent.

      Jessica's jeans are Vallejo Blue-Grey washed with thinned Nuln Oil to darken them a bit. It's pretty much my go-to scheme for denim.

      Delete
    3. 1st Marine Expeditionary Force could work for IMEF, thanks for looking it up!

      Delete
  7. I like the basing style on these a lot. I think the purple sand brings home the Sci-Fi setting really well. The bold colors also look nice and these ladies will fit in perfectly with the rest of your growing collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff, I really wanted an alien look and the purple/blue works well. It's painted Vallejo Black Lava paste, which I love and will probably have to buy more of soon :-)

      Delete
  8. I love all four of these, I was going to say Dee Dee was my fave but then I thought no Jessica is, but I also like Rosie, but then... no I love all of them, smashing work on all four, I might be getting a couple of these at Christmas, or not as I haven't picked what I'm actually getting my wife has, so here's hoping!! 🤞

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping you get some of these gals in your Christmas stocking, Roger :-)

      Delete
  9. John@judtneedsvarnishSaturday, August 27, 2022

    These are great, Matt! Four very different figures! :-) I have to admit Rosie is my favourite and the closest I've got to having a mini like that is Dirty Meg from the Warmachine pirate range!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! Rosie is a seriously cool sculpt and looks like she could fix a spaceship engine or whack someone across the head with that wrench :-)

      Delete