10 June 2022

Frostgrave Cultists

Quick disclaimer: I have no idea what Frostgrave is. I just thought these figures were cool.

I mean, I know Frostgrave is a game and from its name I'm guessing it takes place somewhere cold and creepy, but that's about it. I bought these cultists after spotting them on Amazon and loving their look. After googling around and discovering you get 20 in a box with a bunch of options, including zombie arms and heads if you want some undead ones, I shelled out on a box and painted the first five over the past couple of days.

Once again Slaanesh influenced my colour choices, and I think these chaps would make good cultists of the Dark Prince for WH Fantasy or 40k.

After gluing them to their 30mm bases and priming them with grey spray paint, I kicked off with this chap. A couple of thin coats of Barak-Nar Burgundy covered his robes really well, and I shaded them with Nuln Oil to tone them down a bit. Some White mixed into the burgundy worked for the highlights, and I used Neutral Grey and more Nuln Oil for his belt and the top bit of his robe.

His mask and sword are Iron Warriors and Plate Metal, and his boots and gloves are Flat Earth and Agrax Earthshade. 

If this guy had a cape he'd look like a medieval Batman. I used Stormy Grey for his robes, shaded with Nuln Oil and highlighted with Blue-Grey. His boots, belt, helm and gloves are Black with Black-Grey highlights.

You can't really tell from this pic but his face is Slaanesh Grey washed with some Reikland Fleshshade.

Banana Boy is a sure sign that I'm much, much happier painting yellow these days. After giving him a couple of coats of Averland Sunset and shading it with Seraphim Sepia, I highlighted him with Ungor Flesh.

His padded vest is Chocolate Brown and Flat Earth, and his boots and gloves Orange-Brown and Light Brown. 

Bluenipples is the one I'm not the happiest with because I find blue a bit of a bugger to highlight properly at times. He's Ultramarine Blue highlighted with Blue-Violet, and his boots and gloves are Chocolate and Mahogany browns. His whopping weapon is Iron Warriors and Plate Metal.

Dredd, so named after his granite chin and scowl, was the last cultist to be painted. Castellan and Loren greens worked well on his robes and hat, and the padded vest is Chocolate Brown and Flat Earth. Again his face is Slaanesh Grey with Reikland Fleshshade to give it some warmth.

All their bases were covered with modelling paste, had some small stones stuck in them, and then coated with Stirland Battlemire. Once it dried I daubed on some PVA in random spots and sprinkled flock over it.

I have 15 more of these to paint, and I have an idea on how to convert some of them to make them a bit more futuristic. So stay tuned!

Forgotten Heroes

I am entering the Forgotten Heroes challenge this year, but I haven't managed to make a start on my project as I'm waiting for stuff to show up in the mail. After sculpting the Dog-Thing and painting a couple of Little Sisters of Purification last year, this time I'm doing something that isn't even a figure. Hopefully the bits I need will show up soon and I can make a start on it.

22 comments:

  1. These cultists look very cool, Matt. Frostgrave started out as a Mordheim-like game, but with the focus on wizards and their warbands who loot the ruins of a frozen city. It was generally well-received and I was sucked into it, at least until I realized what a huge undertaking it would be to make the scenery necessary to have some cool games. Since then, Frostgrave has dropped about half a dozen supplements and a new edition. By all accounts it's pretty popular and fun.
    But the best thing about Frostgrave are these miniatures. These, and other kits like them by Northstar, are too cool for words. They're easily customizable between kits, too; so you can come up with some awesome builds if you're so inclined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for the Frostgrave explanation, Keith! I have seen several sets of the plastic minis online and they all look pretty decent, and reasonably priced. I might have to shell out on some more!

      Delete
  2. Love Frostgrave and these paint-jobs too, Matt. Excellent stuff, and I love the idea of them all being different colours. I have some of these with some resin conversion pieces which I painted as Torquemada henchmen (2000 AD). Might nick your idea for a few future colour schemes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good idea doing them as Torquemada henchmen, Simon! I went for different colours because I can't see a band of cultists these days without wanting to paint them in Slaanesh shades LOL!

      Delete
  3. Hey, these look pretty cool! I mean, you really made a nice job; the minis are cool, but not thaaat easy to paint (or to look great, if you know what I mean), and I think you really got it right. At first they look a little bit like a Power Rangers, but I think it's kind of added value!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Power Rangers, I love it! Thanks, Suber!

      Delete
  4. These are some really menacing looking Chaos cultists! I really like your idea of giving them all a different color, I think that helps show which chaos god they align with :) I'm looking forward to seeing what else you do with these sculpts when you get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jeff! I really should try to get away from the "ooo Slaanesh" thing at some point LOL! I'm working on some of the conversions and hope to have them finished and posted soon.

      Delete
  5. Those are some very cool looking cultists, the colours look great on them, maybe you could do a "medieval Batman" as a forgotten heroes entry while you're waiting for you bits to arrive? Sounds like a pretty cool fig to me!

    Colour me intrigued by what you do have in mind for FH, not even a figure? 🤔

    Best line in this post though has to be "Again his face is Slaanesh Grey with Reikland Fleshshade to give it some warmth". Yeah now he looks sooo warm and fluffy! 😂

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I meant "warm" as in "not dead", Roger! As for FH, my project is again inspired by The Thing but you'll have to stay tuned!

      Delete
  6. I always thought Cultists all had uniform coulred robes - well you've completely blown that idea out of the window ! I do like these vary-coloured chaps, you've done a great job with their colours and detailing, making each a unique individual.
    Frostgave seems to me fits the definition of LARP - ;;Cross-courtry pantomime", but adjusted to "Crosscountry/Outdoor DnD".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! Once I'd assembled them they just screamed Slaanesh to me, so I went for different colours :-)

      Delete
  7. Excellent work on the cultists Matt, I think everyone else has pretty mech covered what Frostgrave is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how not only are these cultists, but they are cultists who respect hitting all the spokes on the colour wheel. The cultists without panache are quickly eaten by their non-Euclidean overlords.
    (By the way, wonderful paint jobs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! These chaps definitely have some panache, Matthew! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. By the way, I really like the way you tell us about what paints you used to achieve a given colour or effect. It's very helpful.

      Delete
    3. No problem, hope it's interesting and/or helpful!

      Delete
  9. Rainbow cultists is a first for me. Lovely colors though! As you might know from my blog, I’m a fan of the Frostgrave/Stargrave official minis. Actually, you can also combine some of the Stargrave arms to give the cultists some SciFi weapons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faust, and I wish I'd known you can combine kits before I bought some Necromunda weapons LOL!

      Delete
  10. John@justneedsvarnishThursday, June 16, 2022

    Nicely done, Matt! :-) I like the range of colours - that is just something I can't do, even for small groups of figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, John! I'm the opposite — the thought of painting 20 minis all the same colour drives me up the wall. I think it's a holdover from my teenage years when I painted 200 Ultramarines and got very good at painting blue but couldn't paint any other colour :-)

      Delete