24 September 2023

Gloom Creeper

I have no idea what this thing is, but I love it.

Work is again getting in the way of my hobby, but happily I've been able to paint some minis in between slaving away, sleeping and eating. I just haven't got around to posting them yet, so here's the first of what I desperately hope will be some more regular posts.

I picked up the Gloom Stalker from Etsy back in May, although it didn't show up in the mail until early June and was too late for Monster May(hem). Great. It took about a week to paint, with me cracking out the brushes either early in the morning before work or for about an hour after shifts.  

After spray-priming it light grey, I kicked off with the monster bit first. The purple bits were basecoated with Violet and then heavily drybrushed with Hexed Lichen to bring out the detail, although as this is a PVA print it brought out some of the print lines too. Once the first highlights had dried I hit it with a lighter drybrush of Purple and then I added some White for the final highlights.

I went back in with Druchii Violet to add some shadows and then started on the green bits.

I wanted a bright green so I started with a basecoat of Goblin Green washed with Biel-Tan Green to shade it. Moot Green is a wonderfully vibrant colour so I used it to heavily drybrush the green areas to really bring out all the scales on its tentacles. I tried drybrushing the Moot Green up over the purple areas to make a transition between the colours and I think it worked.

I added a small amount of White to the Moot Green... wait, no I didn't, I went with Scorpy Green first, which is somehow even more vibrant than Moot Green. Then I added some White and went over it again for the final highlights and finally I defined some of the shadows with more Biel-Tan where I'd been a bit too enthusiastic with the drybrushing.

I gave all the painted parts a coat of matte varnish and left it to dry.

Next up was the creeper's weird crown thing and mushrooms. The crown was basecoated with Rhinox Hide and then painted Bronze before being highlighted with Brass and a touch of Canoptek Alloy.

The teeth(?) sticking out of the crown got a coat of Bonewhite followed by a wash with Agrax Earthshade, and then highlighted with Off-White and a touch of White. I did the creeper's stumpy teeth the same way.

All the 'shroom stalks are Tan, Serpahim Sepia and Beige. The caps are just Mephiston Red and Vermilion with some White dots applied with the end of a toothpick.

The insides of the tentacles were straightforward: Slaanesh Grey works as a basic colour, and then I painted the suckers Warlord Purple, which is a hot pink, and gave the rims a coat of Pink.

Finally it was time for the creeper's rocky base. It got a basecoat of German Grey, a wash with Nuln Oil, and then a careful drybrushing with Neutral Grey, Eshin Grey and a touch of Ghost Grey. I didn't bother with brown tones on the rock to match the scenery I'd already made for my Night Goblins, and which I really need to set up and post here, but I did go over a few areas with a light drybrush of Bonewhite to add some variation.

I had to go over a few areas of the tentacles where I'd got grey on them, but once they were done the creeper was finished.

In keeping with recent tradition here's a random female mini for scale, in this case sci-fi- sniper Sarah Blitzer. The creeper is a whopping mini, easily four inches tall, and was a lot of fun to paint. Despite its size and the different colours and textures it was pretty easy to do and the end result looks great.

16 comments:

  1. Excellent work on this strange beast Matt, the colour choices work really well, and would help this monstrosity hide from passing adventurers until ready to pounce on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! It really is a weird creature but it looks great!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic paint job and lovely model! Reminds me a bit of Day of the Tentacle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Snapfit! The model is really cool and a lot bigger than I thought it would be. But it'll help with my Night Goblins army :-)

      Delete
  3. Dammit, that's scary as hell! Great job! And I also thought of the Purple Tentacle, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this sculpt very much. Disturbing and yet asks all sorts of design questions of the concept artist.
    1 - recesses for eyes, yet no obvious ocular organs?
    2 - mouth agape with sharp gnashers, but no room for potetial snacks to slide down it's gullet due to fungal-baleen type stuff in the way?
    3 - obvious inspiration from octopus's's's's's - is this a land creature, or an underwater devil? And if it is lurking in the depths of some dank cave pool how to the mushrooms on it's noggin survive?

    Or maybe I'm over-thinking this mini? :)

    LOVE the colours you've chosen tho. In the underdark or where ever your goblins live, I imagine the lack of light (Requirement for inhabitants to utilize "dark vision"?) would mean actual colouring of hide to be a moot thing, or even a hunter's attraction to draw in prey like deep sea fishes and their natural luminescence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dai, and I don't think you're overthinking it :-) I like all your thoughts on this creature. The lack of eyes could be because it lives in the dark and doesn't need them, but whatever the reason they look bloody horrible LOL!

      As for colours, if this thing does live in pitch-black caverns then much lighter shades, even an albino look, would be more realistic. But I had the chance to go a bit wild so I went for it :-)

      Delete
  5. I didn't really appreciate this model until the final photograph when the size of the thing was manifest!
    Whatever it is, you've brought it to life with your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Joe! I too was surprised at how large the model is because the Etsy listing didn't give any indication of its size. I knew it would probably be a couple of inches tall but I wasn't expecting something pushing five inches in height.

      Delete
  6. That is one strange creature and I love it! Though I think I might have chopped the mushrooms off the head, then it could double as a sea or subterranean creature. Your paints are great, and you can't go wrong with the purple/green combo (Hulk SMASH!). It looks like there are cavities behind the eye/mouth tendrils? If so, I always find those bits a challenge to get primed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian! The recesses behind the eyes and mouth are bare plastic because the primer didn't quite cover them, and I didn't think about painting them until well into the highlighting stage. Oops. You are right about it making a good underwater creature :-)

      Delete
  7. John@justneedsvarnishThursday, October 05, 2023

    Weird doesn't get a look in! I really like it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! The weirder the better as far as I'm concerned :-)

      Delete
  8. Now that is something else, Matt! It really is a creepy cave dweller if I've seen one. Those teeth are particularly haunting for some reason. I like the bright colors you chose and I think this would go really well with the goblins you've been working on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jeff! Interesting you mention the teeth because they're one of the reasons I like the model so much, those horrible stumpy teeth look way better to me than the usual fangs you get on monsters.

      Delete