27 August 2023

Dinosaurs! With laser guns!

How could I not buy these? It's like someone took space, laser guns and dinosaurs and said, "Hey, let's combine these into Matt's ideal childhood dream!"

Thanks to work taking a turn for the worse (AGAIN) and a stinking sinus cold I couldn't shake for the past 10 days, scenery has been on the back burner for the past month. Well, not so much on the back burner as still in its packaging in the cupboard, the top one you hardly look in, right at the back behind that box of couscous you thought you'd try but forgot all about just after buying it in 2018.

In fact, it's just struck me that this year's Season of Scenery has about four days to go, and looking over the state of my work desk kitchen table I'd say it's possible in a very non-possible way that I might just about be able to finish one of the projects I've been making.

Anyway, before I was struck down with the dreaded lurgi I did find time to paint five new figures. Well, I say new, I've actually had them for months but they're new to the painting table. And amazingly these are Reaper figures which I did not — repeat, not — get from Etsy. I know, I'm shocked too.

One thing I settled on before beginning this group was to save time by not painting their clothing in different colours but to make them look more like a team. And what's an easy colour scheme? Black, with some red trim!

After spray-priming all five black, I kicked off with the T-rex looking one (actually called a Blackfoot Suppressor) because why not. I'd already decided that I didn't want to paint them like actual dinosaurs, so I went with a basecoat of Violet with Hexed Lichen, Purple and Pink highlights. 

His clothing/armour was drybrushed with German Grey and Neutral Grey, and I added some areas of Plate Metal just to break it up a bit. His shoulder and knee pads were given a coat of Mephiston Red before being highlighted with Vermillion.

The whopping plasma(?) gun he's holding was originally going to be painted in some metallic shade before I went with White. I just think it looks more futuristic, and I used thinned Thousand Sons Blue and Sky Blue to do the, well, blue bits.

While painting the Suppressor I thought he looked familiar, and I remembered that Roger had painted the same figure back in March

Next up was the Bloodcrest Sharpshooter. After sorting out his armour colours I decided on blue for his skin, kicking off with Magic Blue and highlighting it with Electric and Deep Sky blues.

To break up all the blues and blacks I did the underside of his tail with Brown Orange and Tan, which I needn't have bothered telling you about because you can't see it in my crappy photo.

Two down, three to go. I hit the Thunderfoot Commander next, going for a basic grey skin scheme with Neutral, Ash and Ghost Greys and a diluted wash with Nuln Oil. The greys were a bit dull but I added some colour to her (yes, her) by painting areas on her head with Hexed Lichen and Pink.

I had to wait for my new magnifying goggles to show up before I could start on the next one. I set about the Skywing Infiltrator with Park Green Flat and added Beige to highlight it. For some reason despite possessing wings he has a jetpack on his back and that was painted in Black with some Plate Metal highlights. 

Finally we have the Armorback Demolitionist. After getting his armour done I painted his chunky back Brown Orange and then mixed in some Averland Sunset for the highlights. A bit of Bonewhite, Ivory and Seraphim Sepia sorted out his spine thingies and I used more Averland washed with Fuegan Orange on his rocket launcher.

These really are imaginative and fun minis and my only problem with them is their integral bases. Why Reaper couldn't have put them all on same-size bases or, better yet, not have their toes poking out over the edges is a mystery for the ages. All of them got extra layers of matte varnish over their tootsies to hopefully stop the paint rubbing off.

More to come soon!

17 comments:

  1. Excellent work on your space dinosaurs Matt, funny how childhood ideas suddenly emerge ! LOL The colour choices give them a other worldly feel to them all, and the standard uniform colour does help them look like a unit. Will this be your next team when the muppets are all dead ? I blame your fun adventurers on my recent work on my own team ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dave! There is a good chance that these chaps will be taking over or replacing the Muppets, so you'll have to stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Corking collection of Prehistoric pistoleers, Matt. I was actually immediately reminded of a recent Rick & Morty episode I watched where the dinosaurs returned to Earth but as peacemakers. I think them looking and behaving as I imagine your figs would, would have made for a much more interesting episode. Lovely paint jobs, and sorry to hear you're not getting much time with the hobby currently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, they were a lot of fun to paint and they look great. My hobby time is increasing a bit thankfully but I'm still knackered most of the time LOL!

      Delete
  3. Nothing beats dinosaurs with guns, it is law. I'm in love with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking at these spacedino's just the other day trying to figure if I "needed" them or not... LOL

    Seeing them painted up all colourful like this though I am sold.

    So cool mate - the choice for bright skin colours takes away the obvious "Dinosaur" vibe and makes them more "lizard-aliens", which is way more scifi-cool imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dai! I've liked them for ages and decided to buy the whole lot in one go instead of one at a time. They make for a really cool team for laser-based shenanigans!

      Delete
  5. Wierd and wonderful, it's pretty obvious why you were so attracted wto them. I like the idea they're a 'team' with a general uniform, colour throughout .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe, I loved them the minute I saw them. Painting them as an actual team rather than in individual colours was definitely the way to go.

      Delete
  6. Not from Etsy?! I don't believe it! ;) In all seriousness, I really like how you painted these guys. They remind me a bit of the Ninja Turtles villains but moved to a Sci-Fi setting. I would think these guys are perfect adversaries for The Muppets or the search party that gets sent out to recover The Muppets' remains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not from Etsy, and I was shocked too LOL! You might be on to something with these guys being the search party for the Muppets ;-)

      Delete
  7. I hadn't realised there were so many different Dino's in this range, you've done a smashing job on all of them mate, but I do love the "Barney" purple on the T Rex!

    oh and thanks for the shout out. 😁

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger! When I saw your T-rex I had to get these guys! The purple works surprisingly well on the T-Rex, thankfully.

      Delete
  8. John@justneedsvarnishWednesday, September 06, 2023

    I bet Etsy's share price has plummeted! Well, it would if I wasn't making up for you not buying from there! As far as these minis are concerned I think they're brilliant! :-) Can't go wrong with dinosaurs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, John! Never fear, I have been back to Etsy a few times since buying these and I'm sure their share price will rebound LOL!

      Delete
  9. I had seen these minis before, but I thought it was you who had recommended them to me! They also have Dinos with more primitive weapons. I think I bought some, but I'd have to dig through my boxes. As Kuribo mentioned, these remind me a lot of the Triceraton villains from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'd be really surprised if they were not the source of inspiration. Your painting on them looks great and I think you made a smart choice in giving them different skin colors. Besides how do we really know that the dinosaurs weren't colored like Skittles, haha?!?!

    ReplyDelete