10 November 2022

Alien Nation 2

"Get a job," she said. "It'll be fun," she said. "You'll meet people and have money. Something easy, you only need to do about twenty hours a week," she said.

Yes, my unenforced absence from PMPainting and other blogs is thanks to my 20 hours a week turning into almost 40 due to staff leaving and me being promoted. Promoted! A quarter-century in newspapers and multiple page design awards and nothing, but I do six weeks at a bloody dollar store and I'm bumped up to keyholder! So now I'm responsible for closing the store and counting the money at the end of the night, which is laughable given my appalling skills at maths and household budgets. 

I am, to use a medical term, absolutely buggered most of the time, which has not only negatively affected my ability to get off my backside and paint minis/play Space Station Zero but also do stuff like laundry and housework. Still, having a back that's killing me and knees that are filing for divorce hasn't stopped me from ordering more figures from Etsy and elsewhere, and knocking up some more trash terrain so the Muppets can do their next mission.

Work aside, here's three aliens I knocked up over the past week in between taking painkillers and dozing on the sofa.

First up is a Bathalian Primarch. I painted a Bathalian Centurion earlier this year for Monster May(hem). I used a coconut crab scheme for that one, but with for the Primarch I wanted to do something different. After looking around a bit I decided to rip off the bug aliens from Starship Troopers, using black and yellow.

A coat of black primer gave him the base colour I needed, and then I brought out the edges of his shell with a light drybrush of Dark Grey and Black Grey. Easy enough!

The pattern was done by painting it with a couple of coats of Off-White so the yellow, or as it turned out, the orange, would show up better. I went over the Off-White with some Orange Brown and then Wild Rider Red, and once dry I gave all the stripes a once-over with Casandora Yellow. The stripes were still darker and more orange than I'd wanted but they worked and it definitely gave the model a different look.

The Primarch's tenatacles were painted the same way as its stripes. After painting its claws Bone Shadow and Bonewhite, I used Averland Sunset on the eyes with some more Casandora Yellow, and the exposed brain is Ash Grey washed with Carroburg Crimson to give it a nasty red-grey look.

I stuck the Primarch to a 40mm base, pasted on some Vallejo Black Lave paste and once dry it was painted Violet and highlighted with Hexed Lichen and Pink. I stuck a couple of alien tufts, and it was done.

Back when I started on my Etsy addiction I said I'd never bought anything from the site before discovering the amazing range of 3D prints you can get there. Well, I was wrong; in the dim dark days of 2016 I bought this figure after seeing a reference to it on a pop culture forum. It's a 3D print of a Hopkinsville Goblin, one of a group of aliens that allegedly scared the crap out of a family in Kentucky back in 1955. I first read about the goblins when I was a kid thanks to an older cousin buying me a book about UFOs, and when I found out I could own one of my own I jumped at the chance.

He was sprayed with grey primer before having his spacesuit painted with Plate Metal and some Shining Silver. I washed it over with thinned Nuln Oil to tone it down a bit. Then his skin was given a basecoat of  Orange Brown and washed with Seraphim Sepia.

To finish off his skin I highlighted it with Wild Rider Red and Troll Slayer Orange. His base is made and painted the same way as the Primarch's. 

This chap is another Etsy purchase I made last month. It's a nothic, a D&D monster that I thought would work well as an alien creature. I was a bit annoyed when he showed up as I thought he'd be bigger, but on checking the description he's only supposed to be 35mm tall and his hunched posture makes him look smaller. Oh well, he still looks horrible so it's a win.

He arrived molded in black resin, so I just sprayed him with black primer as a basecoat. I wanted to keep him dark, and used some thinned Violet to layer on colour and bring out the raised areas. Once I was happy with that, I layered Hexed Lichen, a reddish purple, over the Violet and up the nothic's spines.

The final highlight colour was a thin layer of Pink, just enough to bring out the tips of the spikes and the most raised parts of its body. After that, I painted his huge eyball White and then did the centre in Black, dabbed some Ivory onto his teeth and claws, and gave his tongue a couple of coats of Scorpy Green.

I went for a really basic paintjob on the base, using Blue-Grey, Nuln Oil and some Neutral Grey. I did bugger up when gluing him on; his left hand is supposed to be resting on the rock, but I got it backwards. But now the nothic is painted I'm very happy with him; he could fit in anywhere, from a dungeon to a cavern to an abandoned space station.

The Muppets will be back very soon, honest!

18 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your work woes Matt, and hope the pain eases for you soon, working in constant pain is no joke !
    The aliens look great, and the colour choices you've gone for add to the feel of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dave, the pain isn't too bad, it's the tiredness that's doing my head in :-) I have to avoid sitting on the sofa when I get home from work as I'll just fall asleep LOL!

      Delete
  2. Superb range of fascinating monsters, Matt. Love 'em all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon, I do like finding the odd and weird models :-)

      Delete
  3. John@justneedstodozeonthesofaThursday, November 10, 2022

    These are great, Matt, particularly the primarch! :-) Not too sure that I should be congratulating you on your promotion, but hope things improve all round for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! The promotion was good to get, it's nice to be recognised but odd as I have bugger all retail experience LOL!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the promotion to Holder of Keys and Coins! The only thing I get to hold is keyboards and monitors! The minis look great. I like the striped creature, I wouldn’t have thought to mark it like that and it makes it look way more interesting and real. The Nothic is my favorite, even though it might have been more straightforward. I guess the monster came out after I stopped playing 2nd edition? But it has a classic vibe to it, which I like. Though I imagine the original coloring isn’t as cool as yours, so I probably would have totally overlooked it. I’m tempted to pick one up now though, because you’re right that they could easily be used in SciFi or Fantasy games. Great job and looking forward to seeing what new terrain you conjure up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Brian! The nothic is also my fav, despite being disappointed with its small size once I'd painted the evil little sod he really grew on me and I think the colours suit him well. I think they're supposed to be green/grey but I went for something different and a bit more sci-fi.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your rapid ascent to the top in your career! Don't let 'em hear you say maths though. You have to dumb it down a bit to math for the dollar store crowd ;) I hope you're able to adjust to standing all day too. I work at a standing desk and my knees have been complaining a lot lately too.

    I love the miniatures you've finished as they're a mix of fun and scary. The black and orange Primarch in particular, looks great! The color schemes are excellent and Hopkinsville Goblin gave me a laugh. Having grown up in Cincinnati and reluctantly visiting Kentucky quite a few times, it sounds like the kind of thing that would take off there to me :D It is a far cry from where you live, let me tell you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, Jeff, I am rocketing up the dollar store ladder :-) Standing/walking around all day after 25 years of sitting in front of a PC is a definite change, but as I'm getting in around 8,000 steps a day it can't be too bad for me.

      Glad you like the minis! The goblin is great and I've always loved the story behind them, although I'm 99.9% convinced moonshine had something to do with it. Kentucky really does not appeal to me at all LOL!

      Delete
  6. Not sure if I should say sorry for your promotion, as it sounds pretty weird, but at least I'm glad you are able to see the bright part of it all! The creatures are awesome, but my favourite of this bunch is the Nothic, it looks really great and you nailed it with those colours. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Suber, I'm happy with all the minis. It was just nice to slap some paint on something after so long, and they'll hopefully work for different scenarios.

      Delete
  7. Three nice miniatures there Matt, and sorry to hear about you promotion, you'll just have to stop being so indispensable at work mate! 😂😂😂

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger, and all I can say about my promotion is it's my own fault for doing odd things like showing up on time and actually doing my job LOL!

      Delete
  8. Congratulation on your part-time job, your promotion (and new responsiilites) and your new full-time job. All of which made me greatly amused beacuse evn though I'm now 'retired' I work far more (at the behest of SWIMBO) that I ever did in gainful employement. It's no wonder that you went 'black'.
    The three critters all look fabulously alien so a job well done I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! I did think I was retired after 25 years working in the newspaper industry but Alicia had different ideas LOL!

      Delete
  9. Nice trio! I like the black/purple combo especially.

    One reason why I never strive to offer anything more than "adequate" at my job - fear of them taking advantage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dai! As for work, I didn't go out of my way for the promotion, I just did basic things like "turn up on time" and "do my job" LOL!

      Delete