20 October 2022

Zombtober: Zombie Astronauts

These guys didn't come out as well as I hoped thanks to the spray primer, but I still like them. 

I bought these zombified spacemen from Etsy a couple of weeks ago. They were pretty cheap, costing $15 for 12, and they combine my love of zombies with the sci-fi kick I'm on right now. I don't know if they'll appear in a Space Station Zero game but you never know!

My initial plan was to spray them with Corax White primer and then overbrush them with Off-White as a fast way of getting their suits done. Unfortunately, as is so often the case with me and spray paint, the primer dried in a very rough coat despite the can being shaken for a solid three minutes. On top of that is the fact that Corax White isn't white, and it isn't even an off-white shade; it's a grey that isn't too far off regular cheap grey primer. I'd have been better off using my $5 can of grey than Citadel's ridiculously overpriced stuff.

Not only that, but it seemed to just soak up the Off-White basecoat, meaning I had to go over each one three times before I got the level of white I wanted. Once dry, they were shaded with Grey Wash and then highlighted with more Off-White and some White.

With the suits done it was time for the details. All their tubing, belts and little canister things were painted Neutral Grey, shaded with Nuln Oil and highlighted with Ghost Grey, which was a bit too light. Their guns are Black Grey drybrushed with Iron Warriors, and finally I did their helmet visors by basecoating them Chocolate Brown and going over that with a mix of Agrax Earthshade and Polished Gold.  

Their skin is my usual go-to scheme of Dead Flesh with green and purple washes to make the skin more rotten, in this case Coelia Greenshade and Druchii Violet. I had a bit of fun working out which bits of the models were actually part of the spacemen and which bits were errant support struts, and some of the zombie areas aren't too well defined, but I go them done in the end.

I didn't really do too much for their bases, mainly because I was over them after such a protracted painting process and just wanted to get them finished (this is also the reason I only painted half the models), and because I had to complete some scenery for the Muppets' next mission. As models go they're really good, and having learned my lesson I'll be doing the rest of them in different colours that don't involve crappy spray primer.

Speaking of the Muppets, the game is set up and I'll be playing it this afternoon. It looks like it's going to be an interesting one, and there's a real danger some of the crew won't make it. Tune in soon!

18 comments:

  1. Great work on the Space Zombies Matt, the powdering is often a problem with the propellant in the can, and no matter how much shaking it can happen, also do you warm your can before spraying ? Sometimes it's a reaction of the plastic, as GW had a major problem with a whole batch of their white primer, I did a test, on a GW plastic model, a GW metal, a piece of plasticard, and a toy from a ceral box. The matal was fine, and so was the ceral box toy, the other two reacted. If you have a batch would suggest doing a test piece first, as then your only losing one model.
    Look forward to reading the Muppets next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! I didn't warm the can up while shaking it, but it wasn't a particularly cold day and the garage is pretty warm thanks to the boiler being down there. I've had this issue on hot summer days, so I'm just putting it down to the whims of the Dark Gods LOL!

      Delete
  2. Firstly - Good luck to the Muppets!!! Secondly - Those undead astronauts look awesome, Matt, and I don't think your problems with the spray can have impacted upon them at all. They look excellent to me, and another tempting Etsy buy tbh. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Simon! I have a feeling the Muppets need all the best wishes they can get for their next mission LOL!

      Delete
  3. John@justneedsvarnishThursday, October 20, 2022

    These are great, Matt! :-) I like the shattered visor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John, and the one with the broken visor is definitely my fave.

      Delete
  4. I would say "nice work!" but these guys are probably going up against the Muppets at some point. So I have to stick to rooting for the good guys and gals! The models look pretty nice, sorry to hear they were such a pain to get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian! They are great models, it's just a shame about the damn primer. Oh well.

      Delete
  5. The astronauts have turned out well in spite of your problems. I'll stick with me cheap 'Wilko's" primer as I've never had any problems with it. Interesting set-up for the Muppets next fiasco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Joe, I wish I'd gone with my cheap grey or white primer as I've rarely had problems with it. Still, too late now, and I can always say that the roughness of their spacesuits is because they're ancient zombies :-)

      Delete
  6. I saw those while perusing Etsy a while back, I was a little dubious that the faces would be as clear in real life as in the renders, but yours look excellent! and I think you painting and colour choices have enhanced them greatly too.

    Good luck to the muppets, 🤞🏼

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The faces are very clear and well defined, Roger. The store I got them from has photos of the actual models and not just renders, so I was able to see them clearly.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I like them! I have experienced myself that kind of problems, so you have my sympathies! I'm currently painting space zombies too, so I find your work highly encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I can't wait to see your space zombies, Suber! It really is a pain when spray primer goes wrong, but happily it doesn't happen too often.

      Delete
  8. These look great, Matt! I like the color scheme as it makes the fact that they're dead stand out even more. You've probably already thought of this but did you spray when the humidity was high? I find if you stick to the temperature range on the back (conveniently not just in Fahrenheit as well!) and choose a low humidity day, it usually works pretty well. Having said that, Corax White is definitely not white for whatever reason. It doesn't bother me but I do think its goofy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! Nope, no humidity, it was a cold dry day but warm in the garage. Corax White pisses me off because the paint pots and the lid of the spray can are a lot whiter than the damn paint when it dries. I should have just painted them Off-White, which is what I ended up doing anyway.

      Delete
  9. I like me some Space Zombies. These ones make me imagine if the astronauts from Moonraker were for some reason zombified. No idea why. Good stuff Mat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Dai, and you're right about the Moonraker look - I think it's because of the white and gold scheme!

    ReplyDelete