14 October 2022

Sphere Drones

Three drones hide behind a piece of alien machinery, waiting for our intrepid heroes to come into range...

The drones are going to have to wait for a bit as I won't need them for another couple of Space Station Zero missions. Still, at least they're painted and finished, which is more than I can say for the scenery I actually need for the next Muppet extravaganza.

I kicked off with these spherical chaps by unceremoniously sticking a toothpick into their nether regions to hold them while I painted them. They were sprayed with white primer and then taken back up to the kitchen (the spare room can charitably be described as "unusable" and I'm sure Alicia would use much more colourful language if she was writing this) to be finished off.

All three were given an overbrush of Off-White and then had any recesses filled with Grey Wash to add some shadows. Pipes and tubes were painted Black Grey, and then highlighted with Neutral Grey. 

I layered some pure White over the tops of their carapaces to brighten them up a bit, and then I started on the lenses. I debated blue, green and red, before deciding to take some inspiration from GlaDOS of the Portal video games and go with orange:

The drones' main eye and what I'm assuming is their gun/laser sight got a base of Heavy Orange and then a coat of Wild Rider Red. I layered on a bit of thinned Troll Slayer Orange before adding a dot of White and going over it with Casandora Yellow wash.

The square indents were just filled with a couple of dabs each of Casandora Yellow. Why I haven't bought Citadel's orange wash yet is a mystery for the ages.

Once varnished, all three were glued to their transparent flight stands in readiness to be deployed in Space Station Zero. That mission should be coming up soon, but first I have to finish the scenery I need for The Science Lab and play that game. Stay tuned! 

19 comments:

  1. I think I might have those same minis. Reaper? They are looking pretty good, but I think I would dirty them up a tad. Unless you want them looking more newish or it could just be the lighting making them look nice and bright. I have Citadel's Fuegan Orange, but hardly use it. You'd probably be better off using one of their newer orange Contrast paints. Most of those paints make better washes than paints, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Brian! They're 3D prints I got on Etsy, but Reaper does do a very similar drone. I was tempted to make them a tad dirtier but was worried about messing up the white too much.

      Delete
    2. Ah ok, good to know that they are "similar", because I could have sworn my spherical drones had some fins or something. I thought I was going crazy (well, more than usual)!

      Delete
  2. I can definitely see the Portal influence with these drones, Matt! I think they came out really well and I like the simple white and orange scheme. It works really well for little robots like this and helps make them look dangerous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! The simple scheme makes them pop a bit more, and I was happy to suddenly think of GlaDOS and get a Portal reference into the painting!

      Delete
  3. Great work on the drones Matt, they remind me of the ones in Oblivion. I'm with Faust on some dirt, unless they are supposed to be new, then leave as is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought they look like the ones from Oblivion, which is why I picked them when looking at drones on Etsy :-) I think their clean look can be explained by some sort of force field... at least that's the story I'm going with :-)

      Delete
  4. John@justneedsvarnishSaturday, October 15, 2022

    These look really good, Matt! :-) I read Brian's comment and thought that grubby would be a good look for them, but I think I like them more as you've done them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! I do like the cleaner look, and to be honest I didn't want to mess up the white too much LOL!

      Delete
  5. They look fabulous! As Dave said, the spherical shape reminds me of Oblivion, but they have their own touch. Pretty nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Suber! I like Oblivion and that was a big influence on me buying these drones.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful paint-jobs, Matt. Who produces those as they look just the job for Space Station Zero. Love the clean look to them. Really nice white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure who makes the stl files, Simon, but I got them at an Etsy store called The Printpire.

      Delete
  7. These look great and quite different from a lot of the other antagonists the muppets have had to face. (If they survive then intervening missions of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, Joe, that the Muppets going up against three pristine drones makes a change from the usual zombies and mutants LOL! I'm not sure when I'll get to use this trio, but that mission is coming up at some point.

      Delete
  8. I like the white mate, and the pristine finish on them will really make them "pop" once they come out to play with the muppets!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger! They do show up really well on the game mat and should look good until blasted to pieces by the Muppets :-)

      Delete
  9. Have a WALL-E feel to these. The pilot or whatever that robot was. Very cool designs and great colour choices too.

    ReplyDelete