23 September 2022

The Vurasoor

The Vurasoor are a trio of female soldiers who were once part of a special operations team fighting for the Collective, an alliance of human colony planets. After a disastrous mission in which they were betrayed by their so-called allies, they abandoned the cause, repainted their armour and now fight for themselves.

I've owned this trio of Hasslefree figures since late 2018 and they made their debut on the blog in April 2020. I originally painted them in kind of basic army colours — greys, dark greens and black — but I never really liked the schemes or my painting.

They were dumped in a Simple Green bath to strip the paint and primer, and the other day I redid them in much better colours.

You might recognise the scheme from The Mandalorian. After getting them on the painting table I hit a brick wall when it came to colours, but then I remembered the trio of Mandos in the show and how I'd always liked their blue and silver colours, so I cracked out the grey primer and set to work.

All of them were painted in the same colours: Leadbelcher, Nuln Oil and Plate Metal for the metallic areas, and Heavy Blue, Flat Blue and Deep Sky Blue for the blue parts.

The only other colours were Mahogany Brown and Flat Earth on the left mini's ammo pouches, and Blue Grey for the right one's trousers. I also tried to make them individual by using the blues in different areas so they wouldn't be identical.

They really are cool looking figures and I'm hoping there's a Space Station Zero mission where I can use them. If not, at least they look better than they used to.

And that's it, apart from having a hell of a time thinking up a title for this post when suddenly the word "Vurasoor" popped into my mind. Yay random thoughts!

 I was supposed to be working today, but after doing an eight-hour shift yesterday I got called back in at 6pm thanks to the frozen food delivery turning up 18 hours early. So if I can stay awake I'll try to get another SSZ game in as I've made the scenery I need for it.

Stay safe out there!

20 comments:

  1. Love your new colour scheme Matt, and very inspired by house Kryze, nice touch adding the blue in different areas, gives an individual statement for each while still tying together. Hope you find a scenario that you can use them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave, I'm well pleased with their look. The blue and silver is a good combo and the Mandalorian inspiration worked really well :-)

      Delete
  2. That scheme works particularly well, I love it! Nice work, looking forward to a game! But first get some sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Suber, the new colours are so much better than my original painting. Hopefully I can fit these girls into a mission!

      Delete
  3. These are great sculpts and I like the colors you chose this time around. The blue really looks nice with the purple bases. These guys can't join the Muppets as they look too tough and capable for that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! They really are cool sculpts and have a great sci-fi look to them. They are a bit too competent for the Muppets LOL!

      Delete
  4. Really like these Matt. The Blue really pops against the metallics, great choice😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Justin! Vallejo does some great blue shades and I thought they suited these girls well.

      Delete
  5. John@justneedsvarnishSaturday, September 24, 2022

    Very nice, Matt! :-) Blue and grey always work for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! It's a great colour combo.

      Delete
  6. Nice work, Matt. I initially thought these were from the old Void range of models when I first saw them. I like the blue-metal palette. Makes them look like space police, imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Simon, and now I want to see those Void minis!

      Delete
  7. Nothing wrong with the old color scheme, but I think the update is pretty nice. Can't go wrong with blue and silver. I imagine there has to be some scenario to get them on the table. Maybe as some hired guards or local law enforcement that lends a hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian! I actually have no idea if my crew will encounter living opponents on the space station, or if they're all going to be robots so we'll see. If I play again with a different team then this trio will be part of it :-)

      Delete
  8. Great looking tro and the subtl blue colour workd really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Joe! I really like the way the blues turned out.

      Delete
  9. Lovely colour choices mate, the blue'hues look great!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have a distinct "Mass Effect" video game feel to them, very cool paintjobs Matt. Hasslefree make some flippin lovely sculpts, just wish they were a little more affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dai! These minis really caught my eye when I saw them on Hasslefree's site, it's just a shame that their first paintjobs weren't up to scratch. I'm well happy with their new blue-and-silver look.

      Delete