28 September 2022

Vashtal and Axon

It's just occurred to me that two of the Muppets, my intrepid pirate band I use in Space Station Zero, haven't been featured on the site. So here they are!

These chaps are plastic Reaper minis that, for once, I actually ordered from Reaper and not from Amazon to get free shipping. They're both good sculpts in the newer grey Bones material and thankfully didn't have a lot of flash to remove. The single issue was Axon's base being a bit warped, as you can see in the photos, but apart from that they were fine.

On Reaper's site, Axon is called a Blood Nebula Mercenary. I have no idea if he's an android or a biological humanoid in a suit, so I left that bit ambivalent.

Axon's scheme has a bit of a K-2SO look to him, which I'm not bothered with as that droid was pretty cool and wonderfully snarky. After priming him black I thought he looked awesome, so I just gave him a coat of Black and drybrushed some Black Grey over it to bring out the details.

I was going to go with orange as a secondary colour, but then decided on gold as it's a good combo with black. I picked out the areas with Filthy Yellow to act as a base, then went over them with Polished Gold. A dab of Seraphim Sepia toned it down a bit, and he was done! Nice and easy, and he looks great. 

For some reason, Reaper describes the plastic version of this mini as a Rach Soldier but the metal figure as a Malvernis Soldier. I just named him Vashtal.

Vashtal was painted at the same time as Axon, and he was also primed black. I went with Neutral Grey all over, washed with Nuln Oil to bring out the details and then drybrushed him by adding some Ghost Grey to the Neutral Grey.

I basically ripped off the red areas from the painted example on Reaper's site as I like the look. When it came to his skin I wanted something suitably alien that would provide a third colour, and blue was the way to go. A coat of Magic Blue provided the base shade, and then I layered on Sky and Deep Sky blues and a bit of White until I got the look I wanted.

His chunky rifle is Nuln Oil over Plate Metal, and I dabbed a bit of Orange onto the front just to break it up a bit. The final thing was his belt and pouches, done with Chocolate and Mahogany browns.

Both minis came out looking great and were instant choices when I picked my Space Station Zero team.

18 comments:

  1. Great colour choices on both Matt, I would say Axon was a guy in a suit, who maybe likes to think he's a robot, but then again under that armour could be female as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave, they're both pretty basic schemes but still effective. Axon being a nutter who thinks he's a droid would make him fit in well with the Muppets LOL!

      Delete
  2. Oh they both look awesome indeed, Matt. You really do find some cracking Reaper minis!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Simon! Reaper does a ton of superb minis, and when I saw these two on its site I had to snap them up :-)

      Delete
  3. They both are nice, I do like the thug vibe they have. Cool colour choices, they are a real win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suber! Half the fun with these sci-fi models is coming up with space-age colour schemes LOL!

      Delete
  4. Excellent work there Matt! You really have a knack for painting up these SciFi minis and coming up with cool character backgrounds! As I love robots, Axon is my fave. Even if we don't know the innards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Brian, much appreciated :-)

      Delete
    2. Ah, just remembered what I wanted to say. Basically that I also love ordering from Reaper directly because they usually have a free mini available for an order. I once got some bonus paints too, which probably helped kick start my Reaper paint addiction. I've heard their customer service is great, though I've never needed to employ it yet. And just to throw another company out there "Bad Squiddo". Super friendly when I had an order mishap. Look forward to ordering some more stuff from them in the future!

      Delete
    3. I've also got a couple of free minis when ordering from Reaper, and once they chucked in some paint too. Their customer service is amazingly good, as is their forum. The sheer range of figures they produce is astonishing and keeps me coming back for more! I'll have to check out Bad Squiddo's stuff, I've heard good things about them.

      Delete
  5. Two good miniatures with a very useful one that could be mle, female, android or robot. Good colour choices with ol' blue being a very interesting chracter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! The colours I used worked well on both of them, and the blue skin turned out really well.

      Delete
  6. These both look great and I especially like the blue one. It reminds me a lot of aliens in Mass Effect, which is a fun video game series that is more serious than the Muppets but otherwise, pretty closely related, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jeff! I've never played Mass Effect but after googling it I can see the resemblance to Vashtal.

      Delete
  7. John@justneedsvarnishTuesday, October 04, 2022

    Both nice minis, Matt! :-) I like both colour schemes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, very Mass Effect feel to these guys and I really need to start looking at Reaper's scifi range more closely as they are some cool sculpts for sure. Really liking your pieces for this project mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dai! Reaper does some excellent sci-fi minis, and I really need to get more of them.

      Delete