28 February 2023

Fembruary: Calden Keep: Ranged Deliverers

I've somehow managed to get a second Fembruary entry done right on the wire.

I bought this trio just after getting my Lordsguard from Etsy. They were another set of minis that grabbed my attention thanks to the cool helmets and weird clothing, as well as the fact they're female. The Deliverers really show what talents exist in the 3D modelling world and have a very unique look.

Like all the other Calden Keep minis I've painted so far, they have a basic scheme of dark red and old metal. The difference with the Deliverers is their wrappings, for want of a better word, so I had to come up with a couple of other colours that would work but match the overall scheme.

I kicked off with all the red, using Dark Red washed with Nuln Oil and then highlighted with Red. I eschewed using layers of Black and Burnt reds just to speed up the painting process, and to be honest you can't tell the difference anyway.

Once I was happy with the reds, I used Iron Warriors to paint all the metal areas and again shaded them with Nuln Oil. I left off the orange-rust wash this time as I thought it would be a bit much on such small areas of metal.

The bandages they're wrapped in were all painted Off-White and then washed with a couple of coats of thinned Army Painter Soft Tone. I wanted to make them look aged and dirty as well as increase the shadows, and I think it worked pretty well.

This one proved to be a pain, not to paint but because I had to find a stone the exact height so I could rest her left foot on it. Anyway, with the main areas done I started in on the details, using Chocolate and Mahogany browns on the leatherwork and crossbows and small dabs of Ionrach Skin on the bags hanging from their belts. The Deliverers have some really good details including throwing knives and what I'm assuming are bags of gunpowder and at times it felt like I was painting a Citadel model as I kept finding little bits I'd missed. But overall they were fun to paint and they look great.

I followed my usual Calden Keep basing style for these femme fatales: 32mm bases covered with Stirland Battlemire, drybrushed with Bugman's Glow and some random areas of flock. 

I was hoping to get more female figures painted for Fembruary, including another squad of Sisters of Battle and some dark elf witches, but thanks to work I just didn't have time. But they'll appear on the site soon.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent work Matt, on some very different looking models, you keep finding some very different looking models, which adds to the diversity of what you paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These fit in really nicely with your previous creepy offerings, some really cool sculpts and painted to match everso well with the other figures. What kind of setting/game are you planning to use these in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Calden Keep stuff is really appealing, every time you show something I feel the urge to buy stuff! Of course your paintjob helps; I believe it suits the minis perfectly and make them stand out. Cool work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John@lustneedsvarnishTuesday, February 28, 2023

    Oooh, they're really nice, Matt! :-) Colours work very well indeed! I'm still buying from Etsy since you got me started down that pathway to doom (there certainly is a lot of nice stuff)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are simply disturbing, Matt, and remind me of the Turnip 28 models I recently bought via Kickstarter - though these are much more Medieval looking. Awesome paintjob and colour choices imho. You really do show off the very best of 3D sculpts on Etsy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are very creepy looking ladies, and very well painted too!

    I too thought "Turnip 28" when I first saw them. 😉

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great sculpts, Matt. They've got a bit of that Venetian mask thing going on but they are kind of dark and gritty like Necromunda tends to be. Best of all the color scheme you chose fits them perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great models and colour choices, they do look a bt sinister to me - wonderful 'find'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're unusual minis! Very nice work, Matt, great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Ranged Deliverers"? There is a joke in there somewhere, I'm sure, haha! Great color scheme, Matt! The models look like some sort of mix of Plague Doctors and Mummies. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete