24 December 2022

Sanctified One

Something something Etsy, something something ooo that's horrible, something something debit card.

I bought this Sanctified One a few months back but only got around to starting it last week. It really is a great sculpt (although "sculpt" probably isn't the right word for something designed with 3D software) with plenty of detail and looks bed-wettingly terrifying. It's also a whopping three inches tall, making it an imposing figure.

It's another mini by Bestarium Miniatures and once again shows that their designs crap all over Games Workshop's when it comes to sheer horror. I'm not sure what range it's from, but it's supposed to be a possessed or mutated warrior, as you can tell from the helmet still sticking out of its left shoulder.

There is a second Sanctified One that's on my favourites list and might be bought soon.

I spray-primed him grey and then once dry he got a basecoat of Warpfiend Grey. I watched a video tutorial on painting Daemonette skin (the new Daemonettes, not the cool ones) to get a better idea of how to do the purple shading. Turns out I need something called Lahmian Medium, so I picked some up in Gamer's Grotto and headed home to finish him off.

Once all the Warpfiend Grey had dried, I mixed about two drops of Druchii Violet with about 10 drops of Lahmian Medium and basically blasted it all over the model with a large brush. The idea is to give the grey a purplish tinge and at the same time shade the model. The medium really is an eye-opener; it thins washes so much better than water, giving a far more consistent, well, consistency is the best word.

The medium makes the wash take longer to dry, so as per usual I filled the time by doing laundry and dishes.

I used thinned Warpfiend Grey to do the first highlights, layering it on over the raised bits, and there's a lot of 'em. I thinned some Slaanesh Grey for the rest of the highlights to bring out the details on the skin, and finally that was about 90% of the model done. Now it's time for the details.

All the bits of armour were painted Black with Iron Warriors trim, which was given a once-over with Seraphim Sepia to add a dirty brown/bronze patina. The skulls, horns and teeth are all Bonewhite over Chocolate Brown with some Agrax Earthshade, and I did the chest skull the same way but with more sepia wash. 

The inside of his chest was painted Khorne Red and shaded with both Druchii Violet and Coelia Greenshade, and given a simple highlight with some Mephiston Red. Needless to say, I got red on his freshly-painted teeth and it was bloody annoying.

He comes with a base which is every bit as horrifying as the figure itself. I painted it to look like flayed skin stretched over skulls, using my own flesh paint shaded with a mix of Agrax Earthshade and Reikland Fleshshade and then highlighted with more flesh paint. The skulls are done the same way as the other bone bits, only with more shading to deepen the shadows. One small detail I like about the base is the nails around the rim holding the skin in place.

The tentacles started off with a basecoat of Khorne Red and had Wazdaka Red and Emperor's Children layered on top, before the teeth were painted Ivory. 

The Sanctified One really is an awesome figure. The little details, such as the two daemonic mouths on his right shoulder, are fantastic, and overall he looks amazing and utterly terrifying, and I'm well happy with my paint job.

And I've just realised that this is my 100th post of the year. Nice!

18 comments:

  1. I don't know what terrifying monstrosity that is, but I love the way you've painted it, Matt. LOL!!! Excellent colour choices and great brushwork. Corking mini which you have done proud. Etsy definitely has an incredible range of figures to pick up should you start down that particular rabbit hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Simon! It really is a monstrosity and looks great. As for the Etsy rabbit hole, I'm way ahead of you on that one LOL!

      Delete
  2. Excellent work Matt, on a truly warped model. great colour choices on the model and base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave, "warped" is just what I was going for :-)

      Delete
  3. Yikes! That's scary!! I think you did just the perfect work this mini was asking for. I love the palette and the whole work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suber! The grey-purple worked really well on him.

      Delete
  4. Love the sculpt, love the paint job! Hit the scary look down really well.

    Congrats on 100!

    ReplyDelete
  5. John@justneedsvarnishMonday, December 26, 2022

    I'm so glad I've seen this in the morning rather than last thing at night! A very nicely painted grisly horror if ever there was one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks, John, and apologies if you have nightmares :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow you've done a fantastic job on this one! love the colours, I think I've said this before but he does remind me of Skeletor , perhaps an "Ultimate Skeletor!!"

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger, although now I too think he looks like a warped Skeletor!

      Delete
  7. Ooh, now that is something that would even make Lovecraft's skin crawl! That is an inspired sculpt and I really like how you painted it up too. Did you get this just to paint it up or do you have a gaming use for it too? There's no right answer as it is a cool mini :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jeff! I'm not sure about a gaming use for him yet, but he does look good on the display shelf :-)

      Delete
  8. Now that is definetly one creepy critter you wouldn;t like to meet . Superb painting bringing out all its creepines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe, getting all the details to show up properly was a bit of a bugger but well worth the effort.

      Delete
  9. Well happy 100, Matt! You don't look a day over 62! Oh wait, that was posts! The mini looks truly horrible, in a good way. I also really like that base and was thinking that must be stretched skin as soon as I saw it. I think the glaze work turned out really nicely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Seeing as I'm 51 in a week, you're not far off, Brian!

      Delete